Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Niche with shelves in place of medicine cabinet

I'm pretty sure I've seen some pics of shelves in place of the medicine cabinet. Although we were planning to use a medicine cabinet, it seems like it's just not going to work after all without making a lot of changes...one is that I bought a framed mirror to use in lieu of the flat mirror we had before, and the frame sticks out too far (and the cab can't be easily moved due to a stud).

My DH suggested we just put some shelves in the recess, an idea I really like. But it's the main/kids bath. No mirrored med cab means one less thing for them to break -- which is good -- but it also means more things on view.

I guess I'm just wondering how something like this can work out. The kids do not need the extra storage space of a medicine cabinet, nor do DH and I.

Comments (9)

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

I'm gathering that this isn't an "above the sink" installation as you're not worried about the mirror for grooming.

You can certainly do just the niche with open shelving.

Since your current mirror frame doesn't work for the location, how about a different DIY or store bought hinged frame with artwork, or with a photo(s), etc. They are very easy to cobble together.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't mean to be unclear, this is actually to the left of the sink, and the door of the cabinet opens to the right.

There was a large flat mirror all along the wall, above the sink/vanity and also above the toilet. The replacement mirror is not so long, it's only as long as the sink/vanity, and it has a frame around it that will stick out a few inches.

This frame now interferes with the medicine cabinet door opening because it opens toward the mirror and will only be able to open partially before hitting the mirror frame.

We thought about changing it so the door opened to the left, but that's not really practical because then it will block access. The medicine cabinet can't be moved easily because the left side is a wall stud. So we were thinking to forgo installing the medicine cabinet...I don't think we need it, the open storage would be just fine for the few things they'd keep in there.

I like the framed mirror so much better than the plain piece that was there before, it really gives a nice touch to a rather small, dull bathroom otherwise, so I don't want to get a different mirror for over the vanity.

This is the area, with the cabinet space on the left wall, and to the right of it the space that the vanity mirror will hang.

{{gwi:2133606}}

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Make sure that what you are looking at is really a stud. Sometimes what is surrounding the medicine cabinet is simply framing and can be moved. This was the case when I removed my medicine cabinet.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Why put anything there? I would just put up drywall and be done with it.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I'd put in shelving. There is never enough storage space....more is better. Do it!

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Seeing the photo, I'll offer one other alternative if you want to keep the cabinet.

I've made a few "barn door" sliding medicine cabinet doors over the years, using a pair of drawer slides.

Attach the slides horizontally across the wall, just above and below the opening. The "cabinet" part of the slide gets screwed to the wall. The "door" part of the slide gets screwed to the back of your medicine cabinet door.

It's like a mini-barn door. Slide left and right to open and close instead of hinging outwards.

Lemme see if I can find examples online to clarify things:

{{gwi:2133607}}

{{gwi:2133608}}

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mongo CT -- that is an interesting option! I wonder if my DH would be up for some modifications like that...

The other problem is that the stud on the left side is warped or something, so DH has to scrape part of it away to get the cabinet even in properly. I'm going to send him those photos, though, and see what he thinks. It's really up to him at this point, he will be the one dealing with it.

I do like that sliding idea though, then we could still use the medicine cabinet. Opening it by sliding to the left, it won't interfere with access.

Sounds like there isn't a "right" answer to the problem, which is great because whatever we end up with won't be waaaaay out there (I hope)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

The sliding door is cool.

melle_sacto, we have open shelves in lieu of medicine cabs/vanities in two baths. The niches actually go all the way to the floor, and we like them just fine. The shallow niche/shelves works well for the kids to find their toothbrushes, without looking messy from the door.

Good luck!