Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobblestones7

Are 12x15 Koehler #2210 under mount sinks too small?

Cobblestones7
9 years ago

Hi! We are building a bathroom with a 60" counter and double sinks. The Koehler #2210 - 17x14 seems like it leaves so little counter space - but has anyone installed the Koehler #2209 15x12? Is it too small? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the ratio of sink size to counter length is important to the aesthetics. I have seen photos of small sinks installed in a large vanity and they look like bar sinks imo.

We have the 17" x 14" Caxton in a 36" vanity and the opening is 16" x 13". My fabricator explained that oval china sinks are never symmetrical so they need a bit more of an overhang than a rectangular sink. I didn't know that when we bought our sink, but fortunately the salesperson at the plumbing showroom highly advised us not to buy the 15" x 12".

66" is the smallest recommended vanity for two sinks. We have a 60" MBR vanity with two overmount sinks, with one sink against the wall. We have to stand off-center of the sink to avoid pressing against the wall, which is a little annoying. 48" of that 60" vanity goes to sink bases, leaving only 12" of drawer space and a little bit of shared center counter. We'll be replacing it with a single sink 60" vanity.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have 2 Kohler's Caxton 12x15 sinks in my 60 inch vanity and they are great.
    We find the size functions very well for us and prefer having a couple more inches of counter space than sink space. The Kohler website lists the model number for the 12x15 sinks as #2209

Much nicer than these lovely large sinks that were the before:

• Cobblestones7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two interesting perspectives... It does seem like the size of the sink makes a difference. Badgergal, those were some unique purple sinks! I like how you did the drawers on either edge of your vanity. Maybe that's how it came, but ours was custom and that would've been a cool way to do it. We just put the drawers in the center. Anyway, do you find the smaller sink to be annoying in any way? Did you buy hardware to match it? We just bought regular hardware, thinking we would do a regular size sink. Do you splash outside of the sink when you wash your face or anything like that? Thanks!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I really like smaller sinks and more counter space. Badgergals photos above illustrate that perfectly. Unless you are washing pots and pans (like you have to do when your kitchen is being remodeled....), you probably don't need anything that holds a lot of water or takes up so much space.

-Babka

• Cobblestones7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for this feedback. I need to talk to my daughters about their face-washing techniques and how much sink they may need for that! May_Flowers - thanks for the information that the porcelain sinks get more counter over them⦠that is helpful. And Badgergal - I love that picture - it really helps to see it that way. I will check on codes and see what impact that will have. I do think with wall on either side it it will be more confined feeling than your nice open picture. Thanks again for all the help⦠I don't think we can go wrong either way. More splashes on counterspace vs. less counterspace is what it comes down to, I think. Either way, they won't have to share with their brothers anymore!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I meant to add in my previous post that our countertop does not hang over the sink. The edge of the counter is basically flush with the sides of the sink. Our fabricator does have the latest and greatest computerized machines for cutting the granite so that could be a factor. At any rate he never voiced any concerns about oval sinks not being symmetrical.
    Here is a little more close up picture so you can see the edge a little better. The angle of the picture makes the sinks look round but they are in fact oval.