Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

wall tile and floor, same or different?

abekker
9 years ago

Some tiles come for the floor and you can use same tile (maybe different shape/size/color) for the wall. Is it better to not use the same pattern for the floor and walls? It seems to be a thing of the 90's or is it still done? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

It might depend on your style. I think with contemporary, the same tile works well, but your may want more contrast for a traditional space. Have you looked a pics on Houzz?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will look thanks.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I'd go with what you like regardless of current trend. All trends can look great or look bad. I think it depends on the arrangements of the selections and the colors. Do you like high contrast than use dark on one plane and light on another. I like a darker floor, but I do have natural oak in my living/dining room areas and love it. But I think the reason is that it offers contrast, which i have discovered I like. In my first bathroom remodel I went with with white tile wainscot, and a dark gray slate floor. There are so many beautiful tiles.

I have a friend that just had their house built. She selected all the components. She has a lot of very grayed paints and carpets. She missed though on the carpet and some of the walls. She didn't match the undertones very well. I don't even know if she is aware of this. The colors are wrong, though the amount of dark vs light is correct. There is a cast of pink in her carpet that I could see, that is way off for her wall paint color. If it was a B&W photo it would be fine. But add the very muted colors and its a miss.

Anyway I feel like I am blathering on, lol. Good luck on your project.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Agree with enduring that it is very difficult to blend colors - especially beige/tan or white neutrals. They all have undertones which show more or less depending on lighting and the surrounding colors. I looked at a tile in one store that came in polished and unpolished and they didn't even look like the same color to me!

• enduring
    9 years ago

As I reread your initial question, I see you also are wondering about shapes and patterns. In my first bathroom I used herringbone on the floor, stacked 4x4 on the wall and a running bond listello at the top of the wainscot, then topped it with a crown tile. It feels very traditional to me.

I will include a picture:

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

" Is it better to not use the same pattern for the floor and walls?"

It really depends. The size and shape of the room, the size and shape of the tile, etc.

If you want to use the same tile. For example's sake, let's take a simple 12" square tile...you can run them up the wall in a stacked bond. If you were to do a stacked bond on the floor, the room might look too linear and grid-like.

So on the floor you could rotate the pattern 45-degrees and set the floor tile on a diagonal.

Or see enduring's photo above. She could have, for example, used the herringbone on the floor, but used the same tile on the wall in a running bond pattern.

Same tile, same size. Put it in a different pattern and you can get a different look.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Mongo, that herringbone floor, running bond wall combo, in the same tile would look cool.

• leela4
    9 years ago

enduring, I continue to lust over your soapstone sink and vanity every time I see it.

abekker, we used the same 12 x 24 tile on the bathroom and shower floors and walls of the shower in a stacked bond, but we were going for a contemporary look.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

"Mongo, that herringbone floor, running bond wall combo, in the same tile would look cool."

That's what sldgehammers are for. You get a do-over! lol

We've had a lot of bathrooms posted on this forum over the years. Two I really like. Yours I love, it just has that timeless look, and your execution in installing it was brilliant. I'm serious.

And Casey's. The cobalt blue color grabs my eye whenever I see his photos, and I love his floor.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Mongo, I think Casey's blue bathroom is wonderful too! Thanks for the complements.

I remember when you helped me figure out the grout spacing and the strategy of herringbone for that floor. Then when I posted the progress picture, you right away noticed that I turned the pattern 45degrees from your instructions. LOL.