Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower seat, curb and door saddle - the same?

Posted by oshnwavz (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 11:19

Hi All - The kitchen forum was VERY helpful for me some years ago when I needed it - so I thought I would post over here now that I am redoing my small bathroom.

I am converting my tub to a shower only, and would like to add a rectangular bench at the back end. Am thinking that I want a solid surface top of some kind for the bench. I understand that Marble may need to be sealed, and I am a no-maintenance-kind-of-gal.

So I'm wondering if you have a preference for a maintenance free material for the bench top. Also: should it then match the shower "curb" top and maybe even the door saddle? This is a very small bathroom - outside of the current tub space it is probably only about 5' x 5'.

Just fyi on my other design details - all walls including shower will be 8x16 tile, shower floor will be small pebbles, and bathroom floor will be 16x16 tiles.I also have an accent tile that I've picked out that will run linearly around the shower space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower seat, curb and door saddle - the same?

I would have the shower bench surface, solid, and the same as the countertop on the vanity. Granite or a caesarstone type suface. Would use the same on any other surface top such as a windowsill or half wall surface. The shower step could be the tile from floor running up and over so it blends in or it could be the same surface which will make it stand out.

o

Thanks sofla. Guess I should have added that my sink will be ceramic white.

o

What is your countertop material? Like Sofla, I think matching your counter material looks great. We used a 2cm thickness of our granite for the shower curb, bench, niche shelves, top of the pony wall and doorway threshold. It's low maintenance (inital sealing and then every year or so, as needed).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here