Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Can I have an ORB light fixture with nickel fixtures

joyce_6333
13 years ago

I think I really blew it. I had planned all along to do satin nickel in the master bath, and had purchased the towel bars, etc. Then found light fixtures that I really liked in ORB, and without really thinking it through, I went ahead and purchased them. Is this at all workable? I really love these light fixtures, but don't want the ORB for the other fixtures. We already ordered uba tuba vanity tops, and I think the ORB faucets would be just too dark. Thanks for your opinion.

Comments (9)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Why not? Notice I have ORB light fixture, chrome sink/towel bar/hooks/toilet tissue holder and ORB/black drawer pulls. Works beautifully. My kitchen has ORB handles with chrome sink fixtures and orb light fixtures. Just as no one matches all their furniture anymore, the same holds true for the other fixtures nowadays. If you love it, it will probably work beautifully. :)

and yes, I still need to add a mirror. :) DH and I are "discussing" what mirror we want. LOL.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Personally I have no issue, and even enjoy mixed fixtures, but not in different color families. Your ORB is a warm finish and the nickel is cold. I mixed old gold with ORB and it flows wonderfully, but the nickel flusher stood out like an ugly thumb (IMO) so I changed that out quickly. So my answer, never with those two finishes. People love many things, which does make them work for their space, but not necessarily for everyone.

If you are never going to sell...than don't worry, or if you don't mind changing them out...but if you can change it, I'd go with the same body of color (warm or cold) verses trying to make the two work together...cuz they really don't :(

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I beg to differ. Cold and warm always work well together IMHO. It's why colors such as green/red, yellow/purple and orange/blue work well together. It's why mixing silver and gold work well together. Chrome is cold, and it works very well with the ORB

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

I have nickel faucets and ORB sconces. I painted the wall mirror frame an "ORB" color to match the sconces.

To further confuse the issue, the cabinet knobs and hinges are brushed pewter.

I don't planning on changing a mis-matched thing.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your replies. Still not 100% sold on the combo, but I might just try it. Maybe the Uba Tuba granite will pull it togther. We are building a house, and I'm so very tired of picking things out. I'm kind of losing sight of all my original plans. It is all consuming right now with Christmas upon us, too.

Thanks again.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i don't usually consider nickel to be a cool finish...our nickel is definitely a warm color(in comparison to chrome)and would look fine with orb.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Ok I stand corrected but you need to work very very hard to tie it together. The size of mongos mirror frame does a good job of that because the lights appear to be almost a part of the mirror.

One reason I don't care for the two mixed is that the finishes are so different (ie rough and not shiny ORB against shiny silver).

Chrome and brass can look lovely together and they can look like crap together...I guess it's all in the careful planning on the mix.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

busybee you are correct. Nickel is considered a warm finish, it reflects a bit of the red spectrum. Chrome is cool, it reflects blue.

"Igloochick", heck, with that name EVERYTHING would appear to be cold. lol.

Hey, igloo, how's that 68 room, 13 bath reno coming along?

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I had the same dilemma, but loved the light fixtures and cabinet hardware in orb, so got the mirror to match and then did satin nickel for everything else. For some reason, to me, plumbing fixtures should be silvery and the rest of the "decor" mirrors and lighting don't need to match. I am happy with my decision.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert