Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarmaple_gw

Cork Flooring - Now I'm Considering

sugarmaple
12 years ago

In the thread "To heat or not to heat the floor," I asked about different floorings other than tile to use with a heated floor system. It was suggested to use a cork floor (thanks d-1). Now, I'm pretty sold on the heated floor but am now curious about a cork floor. How does this work? Does anyone have this and what is your evaluation of it. It does sound warm! Thanks, Colleen

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

Cork flooring in a bath is only suitable if you do a glue down installation. The click floating floors should not be considered. Even with a glue down, you have the chance for moisture damage to the vulnerable backing material to which the cork is attached. If you wouldn't risk wood in a bath, then using cork isn't for you. If you'd be OK considering wood, and are careful about water issues and put a rug around the toilet area, then cork can be warm and soft underfoot and a great choice.

• Garyleecontractor
    12 years ago

I agree with hollysprings--wouldn't consider using the click together or any other type with a thin layer of cork on top of an engineered wood base. I have used cork tiles from duro-design.com and have been very pleased. Their water bourne finish is very tough, and the tiles are all cork, not cork over wood. Not sure about the heat under it, but have read it works fine. There are some great new, easy floor heat products out there. If you live in a colder climate, I'd definitely go for it.

• ntruro
    12 years ago

As Garyleecontractor mentions, Duro-Design's glue-down cork floor tiles are solid cork (no cellulose backing). It glues down with a water-based contact cement that is far friendlier to work with than the old solvent-based contact cement. The tile backs come pre-coated with glue so you only have to apply glue to the floor, let it dry, and then position and press down the tiles. Duro-Design includes the glue, urethane finish and applicators in a separate bucket with the tile.

Regarding heating coils underneath. With cork, you probably don't need to install heating coils. It feels relatively warm to the touch. We installed it in our kids bathroom 2 years ago and have had no problems. We're also using it in our MB renovation.

Also, Duro-Design's tech support was friendly and helpful answering even my basic questions.

• sugarmaple
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks for such quick responses. Now we are even more interested in cork flooring. Our floor is wood substructure over an unheated cellar. And we do live in a cold climate (getting up to 6 inches of snow tonight). Now I'm off to duro-design.com. Thanks, Colleen