Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claude_007_gw

Fixing a hole in acrylic shower pan

Claude-007
10 years ago

Hello,
We are redoing kitchen, laundry room and 2 bathrooms. There were a few big mistakes. One on them concerns a shower which has 3 ceramic walls and one glass wall. The glass wall consists of a fixed panel and the door. The panel was supposed to be on the left side and the door on the right side. The door was supposed to open to the right, i.e. towards the larger part of the laundry room (which is also where the entrance to the laundry room is). Anyone with a brain would agree, upon seeing the floor plan, that the shower door should open to the right. We had a meeting with the designer and the contractor about a week before the work started and the issue of the door came up. Everyone agreed that the door should open to the right.
We come home one night last week and, you guessed it, the panel is on the right, the door is on the left, and the door opens to the left!!!!!!!!
The contractor says that one of his man did the job and that the details of the door configuration were not indicated on the plan!
Anyway, now they have re-installed the door and panel but a small problem remains: there is a small hole in the acrylic shower pan where there used to be a screw for the panel.
Question: can this hole be fixed so that it will be totally unnoticeable?
Or should we have insisted that the shower pan be replaced? (I think it is too late for that because we have already let them re-do the door, which involved replacing a tile, etc.)
Thank you for your suggestions.

Comments (5)

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

I would contact the contractor and ask him if the hole can be repaired to your satisfaction. I'm sure it can and they should have done that when redoing the door! Let him know that if it can't be repaired satisfactorily then you would like the pan replaced because this flaw will always jump out at you. He won't like it but you will have to live with it. I've accepted too many mistakes made by others over the years because it was easier than a potential battle, but the older I get the more I would like people to take responsibility for their mistakes and their work. I'm always very nice, calm and reasonable about it but explain that the work is unacceptable the way it is. The vast majority of people want to make things right. Good luck!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"Question: can this hole be fixed so that it will be totally unnoticeable?"

Claude-007:

You will always be able to find this repair, even if I fixed it and I have an Invicon kit. As I have mentioned in another thread, when the homeowner screws up, my repairs look fantastic, when the contractor does, not so much.

The standard you should set is this: "Would a professional home inspector readily find this repair?" If the answer is no, it's successful, if yes, maybe not.

I mistakenly drilled some holes on my nephew's new dresser drawers. We bought some flat stainless steel plugs that went perfectly with his pulls to fill the holes. It looked great. Sometimes a contrast is better. How about some pictures? One up close and one farther away.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It will never be "invisible". It will be "inconspicuous" to "almost invisible". Replacing the pan will involve tearing out almost everything you've done, and there just aren't many contractors that would consider that a reasonable request without additional compensation. It's not a hill you really want to die on. Especially if there are other issues you're dealing with.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Trebruchet:
    "As I have mentioned in another thread, when the homeowner screws up, my repairs look fantastic, when the contractor does, not so much."

I love this statement and it is so true for me. I am doing a lot of my own work and I am very accepting of my mistakes :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"It's not a hill you really want to die on."

live wire oak:

I may steal that line. Hope you don't mind. Excellent advice.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths