Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curb, sill and niche quote

Posted by mxgmom (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 10:19

My bath has porcelain tile with an accent wall of calacutta gold. We are at the point of installing the shower curb, window sill and niche base and shelf. I got a quote for $900 to fabricate and install in calacutta marble. It seems very high for a few small pieces of marble (note I am in NYC though). An alternative would be ceaserstone in linen which seems to match both the marble and tile, but doesn't come in the thinner slab needed for the niche (that's what contractor explained to me).

My questions: I am not sure if mixing to save a few hundred will look right, and I am wondering if there might be a better source. I tried two other stone places in NY and their quotes were even higher. Is that just the continuing luck of living in the city?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curb, sill and niche quote

That would be about average even in the heartland. That's a lot of labor to make all of those itty bitty pieces. That's what you're paying for. The stone cost itself is only incidental to the labor. I wouldn't imagine that you'd get a substantially cheaper quote in any material. Even if the material was free, I'd still expect the labor to rund $600-$800 for that amount of fussy detail work.

o
RE: curb, sill and niche quote

Thanks for the reply and dose of reality too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here