Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pl_1121

Finished Shower

pl_1121
10 years ago

Here's my finished shower!

We had our shower updated in the master bath of the house we just purchased. The rest of the bathroom was left alone. The original shower was a prefab unit, about 48 x 34. It's on the left in the picture below.

Left of the shower is the door into the bathroom. The door you see in the photo leads to the toilet room, and the toilet is on the wall adjacent to the shower. We didn't want to move the toilet so we couldn't make the shower wider. We instead extended the shower into the room a couple feet, making the angled wall next to the shower straight.

I found a picture on Houzz I liked that I used for my tile design inspiration:

Traditional Bathroom by Mercer Island Architects & Designers knowles ps

My finished shower is 48x58 inches. The white tile we used is imitation calacatta marble, the green at the top is green ming marble. The fixtures are Grohe. We still need to have a glass door added.

Comments (7)

• LE
    10 years ago

Much better use of the space. Plus it looks really nice! Good job!

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

It looks great. I have that same shower from houzz saved to my "ideabook". Nice job!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Looks great. Love the ming green.

How did the room, where the toilet is, change shape if you took the angle out of the main part of the room? Did it give you space for shelving or storage of any sort?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting! I like yours even better than your inspiration picture! That ming tile is gorgeous! I'd forgotten that at one time that's what I wanted to use in one of my bathrooms, mmmm...still have one more to do...

Somehow, you made four different tiling surfaces work in one small space, that takes a good eye. More often than not, I find my eye perceives clashing (on the computer monitor anyways), when people use different tiles/materials beside one another.

Would love an update a few months down the road on how you like the pebble floor! I've always loved that look, and think I would probably love the feel, but am afraid of upkeep and that grout eventually looking dirty. What kind of grout did you use?

• pl_1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Where the angled wall was changed to a straight wall there is a void in the wall now. The toilet room still has an angled wall inside, and then the outside is straight. We didn't do anything with that void, but it would be a good place to add storage.

The grout is white, sanded on the floor and unsanded on the walls. I wasn't so sure about cleaning the white grout and pebble floor, but it was a look my husband was very excited about so we went with it. I am happy with the look and it feels really nice.

I sealed it twice with Miracle 511 and I'll keep up on cleaning it. Sealing the floor was easy so I'll probably reseal annually. The walls should be minimal maintenance; I can just concentrate on the floor. We loved the ming green marble and having it up high it shouldn't be hard to maintain. The porcelain was large tiles (22x10) so there aren't many grout lines. We'll see how it goes!

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

pI71, I am trying to pick shower tile and would like to know where you found yours. Also, the sizes of each. You did a great job creating a very appealing design. TIA

• 3ilovepie
    9 years ago

love the mix of tile/stone.

Job well done!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert