Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is linoleum still being used?

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 9:30

Im going to start to update my main bathroom. I plan on paint, new counter top lights faucet and new flooring. I already installed new tub surround a few years ago. There is currently carpet down so I can put linoleum down very easy and affordable. I would prefer tile, but cant really afford that now. If its going to look cheap then I would probably go ahead and just do it. The bathroom is about 60-75 sq, ft and I live in Midwestern part of U.S.
Advice please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is linoleum still being used?

You taking about actual linoleum or using the word linoleum for vinyl flooring? Linoleum is still available although more commonly used in commercial applications. There's some nice looking vinyl available although I think (and I'm not a designer) that the current trend is for tile.

Use of vinyl flooring requires careful prep of the subfloor, as imperfections will "telegraph" through the vinyl.

o

We were on a budget for the bathroom and used sheet vinyl flooring (also, I did NOT want to deal with cleaning grout or the hard suface of tile). Three different people commented "I love your tile". Some of the new vinyl is very nice.

o

Oasisowner would you have a picture to share of your bathroom with sheet vinyl? I am considering that for a small bathroom remodel.

You are right - some of them look just like tile.

o

Linoleum is not only still being used, it's made quite a comeback over the past 10 years or so.

I've done a few Forbo floors over the years. I have a linoleum kitchen to do around March or April. Either Forbo or Armstrong.

o

I am in the middle of a budget reno, and we just put down a new subfloor and vinyl plank flooring. It was relatively simple to install, and we are really pleased with the look and feel. Our is a Shaw Flooring product.

o

I meant vinyl like you see at lowes/menards.
I feel better about using now.
Thanks all!

o

Tuesday,

Sorry, no camera at the moment, but here is a pic showing a tiny portion of the floor.

o

Real linoleum is a wonderful, "green" material that is still made, though something of a specialty product now. It may not be cheaper than tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here