Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frameless glass showers: silicone gasket on door edge or no??

Posted by staceyneil (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 9:21

Our shower door will meet a fixed glass panel at an angle, and the glass company is including a silicone "sweep" piece not only for the bottom of the door but also for where the two glass pieces meet (on the opening side of the door.)

I understand this will make it more watertight, but won't it also sort of ruin the look of the frameless glass?

Those of you with frameless glass, do you have this thing? Can I see a photo, if so?

The glass company says I can leave it off at install, but then there'snothing to make the two glass edges align properly when closing the door (no "stop".)

What do you guys think?

(Pics of the shower in question, minus glass, can be seen in my thread below "Semi-modern bathroom tile almost done")

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frameless glass showers: silicone gasket on door edge or no??

I have silicone sweep on the sides and bottom. The only time you notice the sweeps on the side is when the door is open -- and when you clean the gunk off the sweeps. Go for the silicone.

o

I don't have any silicone on the sides -- only on the bottom. I get almost no leakage -- less than a half-teaspoon per shower and my shower stall is very small. But the fit between my door and the sides of the doorway is very close - maybe 1/8" - 3/16". It took a lot of work in the construction and tiling stage to get the doorway so plumb and even that the glass fit could be that good.

Guess what I'm saying is that the side silicone isn't needed if your shower is perfectly plumb and your glass is perfectly cut and installed. But if it isn't perfect, the silicone will help.

o

Another vote for the sweep on the bottom only. No leakage for us (glass co recommended no sweeps for the faces (I've got french doors) and I agreed. Just be sure they know that you want it that way so that they measure the glass accordingly.

o

We have french doors. There are silicone sweeps on the sides where the glass is affixed to the wall and on the bottom, but no silicone where the two glass doors meet in the middle. It's fine that way--you just have to make sure the doors are aligned when closing them, and there's no leakage.

o

Thanks folks! I really appreciate it. I've emailed the glass company to see if its too late in the fabrication to accomodate for not using the strike seal. If they've already made it, all is not lost. Since our door and fixed panel meet at an angle, we can probably simply mount the whole thing slightly inside the center of the curb, which would allow us to tighten any gap they've left for the seal...

We;ll see I guess!

Frankly I prefer the look of just the clean glass edge, so I hope this can happen. It's a small bath, and that edge is very "in your face", and noticeable, and a big part of the overall design of the bathroom....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here