Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

Master Bath 'Minor' Remodel 99.9 complete

gbsim1
15 years ago

Thanks for the help and advice (esp Bill and Mongo) when I had to start over with my Kerdi shower due to the tilesetter using adhesive.... It has taken a while to post the pics and I didn't take time to take any before pictures.

Basic story is we acted as GC when we built the house in 1985 and this is our first remodeling of any sort in the bedroom/bath areas of the house. I think if you do it right the first time, it can last. But the fiberglass shower had to go, so we updated it all. The original Kohler fixtures that were a sort of purplish brown color, wallpaper was okay but a little dated, faucets etc were brass and we never used any window treatments.

What was kept:

1. The floorplan and all cabinets and trim. When we built the house we used inexpensive stock that was really supposed to be painted and used Benjamin Moore Stays Clear tinted poly. This bath has a dark tint but the rest of the house is more of a honey color. I added another coat during the remodel to freshen it up.
  2. Flooring. Kept the original sheet vinyl called Armstrong Custom Corlon. It is smooth with no texture and looks like Terrazo, I couldn't see pulling it up as it is perfectly neutral.
  3. Original light fixtures above vanity (still classic) and recessed light locations above tub.

Changed:

1. Countertops from a swirly cultured marble that was a brownish color to granite.

2. Sink AND tub became undermount Kohler and faucets etc brushed nickel.

3. Prefab acrylic shower that was a brownish purple with textured track doors was pulled out and a porcelain tile Kerdi shower with frameless french doors installed in the space.

So here we go: The tub is the same Kohler 6' Carribean as 24 years ago, just a different color and now undermount.

Added a handshower to the tub area and you can see the Thibault wallpaper that has a simple cream background with a silver swirl.

New undermount sink (I'd rather have the long counter than two sinks!!) and reflection in full wall mirror of the cabinets and shower:

Vanity, new knobs, edge of pocket door entering bathroom:

Porcelain tile shower, marble seat and shelves in niche, Hansgrohe faucets etc

Frameless french doors open fully in and out.

Niche detail: Marble top and bottom and center shelf (two pieces of marble with a "face plate" to hide seam on shelf)

Shower configuration:

Pocket door entrance (still need to frame the mirror!!)

Toilet area with new Toto Drake

Comments (12)

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

P.S. I think it got a little confusing.... the flooring (sheet vinyl) is the old original floor... I just couldn't see losing something so neutral and in such good shape.

But the old dated paper was removed and replaced with the new that you see.

Trim, cabinets and tub panel are all original and just added a coat of tinted poly.

The tub is a NEW tub.... just the same model that we used back in the 80's and of course a new color. That bugger weighs over 400 lbs!!!

Window treatments (silk valences and Silhouette shades) are new.

• User
    15 years ago

I think it looks fabulous! I particularly love that sink. Too often, the good gets ripped out with the bad and you have clearly shown that it doesn't need done that way.
    I was going to ask about the wallpaper- I think it looks great.
    Well done really well done! Now you get to enjoy.:)

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

Look great - is the sink a Kohler?

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Yvette. Yes the sink is a Kohler. It's called the "Man's Lav" and the color is Sandbar.

• megradek
    15 years ago

nicely done!! I don't think I've ever seen french doors for a shower - pretty cool!

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love your window shades. What are they?

Great job,

Jane

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Beautiful job! I especially love your counter and sink! And I love that you went ahead and made it to fit what you want -- lots of counterspace -- instead of blindly putting in two sinks just because "that's how it should be." Nice work!

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane,
    The window shades are Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades. They are a soft fabric when they're raised they disappear up into the headrail or behind the valances. When down, they can be open so you can see out or shut so that light still comes in, but you can't see in. Really nice and I'm very happy with them.

We have woods behind our house, so the only time I really need them down is when kids are swimming and I need privacy in the bathroom. 99% of the time they'll be up or open but it's nice to know they're there if I need them!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

What a luxurious looking bath! I'd love to have that much space! I'm with you on preferring counter space over a second sink. Growing up with five sisters we needed and used two sinks in the main bath. But now with two of us and three bathrooms, there is never more than one person in a BR at a time.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

What are the dimensions of your shower? Around 3' x 4'? I like what you did with the shower doors and may consider what you did in a shower we just built.

Well done!

• kstuy
    15 years ago

Great job! Do you recall the name of your granite choice?

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weedy,
    The shower is 3x4 which was the stud space for the old acrylic unit It seems so much bigger than the old unit even though it's only a few inches different on the inside.

I'm VERY happy with the french doors! I love the effect and also the usefulness of being able to entirely open it up.

Kstuy, the granite shop called it Athena, however, when I've looked online at other Athena's it doesn't seem similar to me.

Thanks, Raehelen! It is a nice sized space but the wall to wall mirror above the vanity helps make it look even bigger.