Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelvar

Vanity Tops - Is Granite still "in"?

kelvar
10 years ago

It's been awhile since we've remodeled a bathroom. We are going to tackle two - one right after another. I've picked out the vanities; picked out the tile. Now down to the vanity tops. I know a lot of folks do marble in a bathroom - but I'm too scared of marble to invest in it - I don't want that worry of etching and staining despite sealing. DUMB QUESTION here...are people still doing granite in bathrooms? Will I date the remodel right away if we chose granite? Going for a spa-ish, sedate look in both rooms. Have picked out Super White for one bathroom - looks like marble - and I do like that choice - but there wasn't enough of it to do both rooms. For the other...Looking at White Wave - a grayish swirly granite - this is the one I'm wondering about. If it's not marble-ish or a solid color like a quartzite, does it look dated immediately?

Comments (9)

• jules8
    10 years ago

I'm not much of a designer, but I think granite will always be popular. I just remodeled two baths and used granite in each. I think your choices sound great.
    this is one of mine....

• Bunny
    10 years ago

jules, I love that granite! What is it called? I would have that in a heartbeat.

• jules8
    10 years ago

It's called "White Fantasy". it's considered a quartzite.
    I have included a link with info regarding the difference between quartzite and granite.
    we hardly ever use the bath, so I don't worry about etching. but it may be something for you to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info regarding quartzite vs. granite

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Quartzite, no wonder I love it.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I think 'natural' materials will always be in!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Here are several links from the kitchen forum from the last 18 months or so.

The one linked below is the first thread. Then Karen mt started a second thread and it is this link:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0223354218096.html

Wonderful information on Super White and what to look for in the product and how there are major misconceptions on quartzite.

Here is a link that might be useful: The lowdown on Super White (first thread)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Granite is in here in Houston, Texas. For builder homes, it is almost standard for the master and for a few builders standard for the second. The builder homes install common varieties. with simple edges. Custom homes have it everywhere including media rooms and outdoor kitchens. Dark colors are still popular here for the bathrooms.

What I see, most master remodels replace the cultured marble with granite. I'm even seeing folks replace their granite for a different variety too. There are a lot of fabricators and a port in Houston to keep the price competitive, with whole slabs, remnants, and pre fab.

Popular varieties have changed the last 15 years.

In fact, granite has become cheaper than cultured marble, especially for large vanities because it is almost the norm to use a remnant. The only time whole slabs are used is if it is a large bathroom. And is almost standard now for granite to be used for details such as window sills, shower curbs, shower benches, ledges, tops of pony walls, etc. Solid surface appears to be out of style. There is a large Silestone distributer here, but I don't see much fabricated tops anymore - just premade vanity tops - a granite remnant is cheaper. The only place I see laminate is for a budget kitchen, but I'm seeing more and more granite even there - especially with the pre fab which is available in a fair selection of sizes and varieties, including islands.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 14:59

• raehelen
    10 years ago

No. I don't think granite is dated per se. Though I do think some of the over-used 'builder grade' stones are almost as ubiquitous as laminate. But having said that I have a 'builder's grade pre-cut top in my basement guest bath, and it is 1000% nicer than the old laminate it replaced! Like Anna said, remnants from a granite yard are so easily available now, that tops can be had quite reasonably. Now, that I know this (My Master BR top is a remnant that I scored for probably 1/3 of what I would have had to pay if I'd ordered it by the square foot, and for only $50 more than my basement bath top was!), I will be scouring granite yards for any future counter tops!

I was at a Christmas party last night, and had to catch myself being surprised that the hostess had a laminate countertop! So, I think for the vast majority any granite would be an upgrade, and for those more conscious/aware/concerned about those things, there are gorgeous, fabulous, unusual, stones out there waiting to be discovered!

• kelvar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Super White/White Fantasy is lovely. We found enough for one small secondary bath, but not enough for the other. The pieces we saw were weak, with no grain to them; and obvious cracks running through them that you can literally feel.