Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
powe7542_gw

Cast iron tubs over 17 ' in height?

powe7542
14 years ago

Hi - Hubby and I are putting in a tub in our only full bath. We'd like a cast iron tub, but I would like something I could really soak in. I would love 20" in height.

The way our bathroom is configured it would need to be 5' in length and an apron style. (I dont think we have the room for claw footed)

We don't want a whirlpool tub and hubby doesn't want acrylic.

All new cast iron apron tubs I have found don't go beyond 16 inches in height (and who knows how deep they fill)

Any suggestions? Does our dream tub exist? I have looked at American Standard, Kohler, Toto ergh.

Comments (6)

• sweetgumacres
    14 years ago

I was shopping for kitchen faucets today and picked up a brochure for Victoria and Albert freestanding tubs. They have a drop in tub, the Freedom, that's 64.5" long and 26" tall with a 18" water depth. They aren't cast iron, and there were none in stock, but they had a sample of the material, "a blend of limestone and resins," and it felt similar to quartz countertops. Supposedly good for retaining heat. Anyway, this doesn't really sound like it fits your needs, but didn't want to rule it out for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoria + Albert bathtubs

• squarefour
    14 years ago

Is the five and a half foot Kohler Tea for Two an option? It is cast iron and has a wonderful 19 and 1/2 inch water depth. It has an optional tile flange so you can push it right up to the wall and perhaps use a small tile apron on the outside.

The 5 foot Archer is acrylic but nice Kohler quality and available with an apron. It is 19 inches high with a 15 inch water depth.

I've been fascinated by the cast iron Kohler Highbridge which is not a big tub but is displayed in the Kohler showroom with a small custom storage cubby under each end of the apron lip. More of a modern look.

I mention Kohler because we live near the showroom and we have been testing out tubs (fully clothed, no water!) for our build. We do not work for them.

Good luck with this. A bathtub decision is one of several that have slowed down our build. Hence too much time in the showroom. I hope you find something that you enjoy.

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Highbridge

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>and who knows how deep they fill)

That, at least, is easy to figure out. Look at the depth to overflow in the spec sheet. I would pay far more attention to that than to the side depth--that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how deeply you can fill the tub (at least not without something like a deepwater bath thing).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Should have mentioned there are also new fittings that let the overflow opening be higher than on older tubs with the drain in the same place. Kohler has one, I know.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

The Victoria + Albert one is basically a cultured stone. Lotsa cultured marble options--look local, and it could be cheap. I got a huge cultured marble tub for my last remodel for $350--3'x6'. Seriously.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

"The Victoria + Albert one is basically a cultured stone. Lotsa cultured marble options--look local, and it could be cheap."

Technically true, I guess. But having seen the Victoria & Albert tubs, I really can't see simply calling them 'cultured marble' as if they were like any other cultured marble tub. It's like comparing Corian to Formica and saying they're both plastic. The Victoria & Albert tubs have a fabulous hand-feel that is truly lovely...