Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhettdrive

Final plans - in limbo. HELP!

RhettDrive
10 years ago

I have totally reworked our master bath. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 23:09

Comments (41)

• lee676
    10 years ago

We'll need a much clearer diagram with dimensions to be of much help. It looks like the sinks would be hard to reach with insufficient clearance in front.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will post as soon as I get the updated copy from architect. I have demolished the original plans & reworked the entire bathroom--- right after we signed the contract. : - 0

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option #1

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option#2
    Do you think the vanity/make up area will feel like I'm stuck in a corner?
    What do you think about the tub turned with vanities on either side?

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option#2
    Do you think the vanity/make up area will feel like I'm stuck in a corner?
    What do you think about the tub turned with vanities on either side?

{{!gwi}}

• raehelen
    10 years ago

In Option #1 it seems a far way from the toilet to the closest sink. I have never had such a large BR, so perhaps that is normal, but personally, I like to be close to a tap after going to the toilet.

In Option #2, what is going on between the shower and the closet on the left? Why couldn't you rotate the toilet 90 degrees and have it right next to the shower, and then have that closet much longer/bigger. It would get your toilet nice and close to a sink too! Bonus, in my opinion! (Do you really need almost 6 feet between toilet and WIcloset on the right?)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I'll take a shot at my impression. There are folks on this forum that will make you ask yourself why you are paying your architect so much money for so little inspiration.

There is too much room down the middle of this plan - it feel's like a bowling alley. Also, all of these designs feel that everything is just placed haphazardly. May I suggest that you place the closets on either side of the door as you enter the bath room - or make it more like an passage way with the closets across from each other and then you enter the bathroom.

I like the idea of the tub perpendicular to the wall and the vanities on either side. What about placing the tub in the center of the room? I don't like the vanities stuck in the rear of the bathroom away from the natural light of the windows. I agree that the toilet closet needs to be closer to the vanities.

Folks are going to enjoy this thread. There are a lot of creative natural designers on this forum.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 0:48

• enduring
    10 years ago

Ditto about the sink. One should never be far from a sink at the toilet.

• lillo
    10 years ago

I will go with option # 1 but switch between the toilet and the closet . So you will have the two sinks close to the toilet . For me it makes more sense to have the closets on one side and the bathroom on the other without having the closets in the middle .

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I would hate walking around a tub every day. What a quick way to turn it into a valet. Pretty soon, clothes draped across it on every side.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

RhettDrive,

My brother and sister-in-law took their architect's plans to a space planner designer who has a great reputation here in Houston. It pissed the architect off but he got over it. She did not make major changes that would affect the structure, room layout, etc - just changes that repositioned and switched to where things just flow within the rooms. Along with mundane things like door swings and cabinet sizes, they also used her for interior material selections and colors, etc. Her big thing is to make selections that are timeless, that do not date the house. The most important thing is that they were able to get the most out of their space. It is a beautiful Tuscany style house. The floor plan and the outside architecture is awesome. The architect did a great job on getting the most out of their lot size. The house is designed around a beautiful Greco Roman pool. So you may think about taking your master bathroom plan to another designer, maybe one who specializes in kitchens and baths. Now is the time to get the design you want. Just my opine.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 14:11

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna, good advice! I am not wild about the tub dead center in the BR but don't mind it pushed back a bit. I KNOW it would end up as a giant valet!!!
    I just can't have the shower in front of that large window at the front of the house. Another option: a split his/hers master closet along that wall (w/ the window in the front of the house) then I could place the shower in front of the closets & the tub in front of the shower, leaving ample room for water closet & vanities.
    It's a huge space- I want to utilize it & enjoy the view from the MBR too! Still open to all ideas & hoping that the design company will have some better alternatives; tic-toc!

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Placing the closets at the front of the house even though it would incorporate the front window is a good idea. Then your bathroom would fall in place between the closet area and the bedroom. I'm visualizing 2 doors, one on the right and one on the left with your vanity in between. Your vanity will then be the focal point looking in from the bedroom - jazz it up and really make it special.

If you are not a bath person, then placing the bath in the center of the room would become an irritant to you. Just tuck the bath along the side. I would keep it very simple.

Also, make sure you like where the toilet closet is, especially if you have to get up in the middle of the night. I think your plan where the toilet is at the front corner of the house is a pretty long walk or run if you are sick in the middle of the night.

Also, don't get caught up in having to have his and her separate closets away from each other. I think that is what makes your plans so broken up and haphazard. Most couples share a huge closet with his and her sides. Many times it makes the planning easier. You can find nice ways to divide it with an island or bench in the middle.

I would add another window on the side of your house to give your bathroom more light if you end up closing up the front window with your closet.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tadaa! What do you think about this plan? The shower isn't actually drawn as I explained (see link) to the architect so we will be working on that. Also plan to move W/D stack to the right side & provide second closet entry on the left side. Any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Vanity area[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/pye-residence-tropical-bathroom-charleston-phvw-vp~5188288)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Big improvement over the beginning plans! Toilet makes sense, nice and close to bedroom and within close walking distance of a sink!

Your link was to a vanity, couldn't see any shower pics that came close to the drawing...maybe I misunderstood?

Don't know about the advisability of having a washer/dryer INSIDE a closet? Are there humidity/dust/lint issues? Could it be outside next to vanity? I would hate to lose closet space to a second entry, why not just have one entry?

Tub seems small for such a large, luxurious space. My bathroom is sized a fraction of yours, and my planned tub is 66" X 38". Maybe you guys are really tiny people?

• mmcf
    10 years ago

28" doors seem narrow to me, as does the 36" for the double entry door, especially in such a grand space.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what I have in mind for the shower, different colors & tiles.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

This one is much more cohesive. Will you be able to get into the closet without walking through the bathroom? Just a thought if there are two of you trying to get ready to go out. My DH and I hardly ever get in each others way but we would if our closet was not across the hall.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

RhettDrive,

Fantastic!

I don't see a prob with the washer/dryer in the closet. The dryer will be vented out and the closet will be air conditioned. Think about tiling the floor in that corner. And what about a place to fold clothes or are you going to carry them through to the bedroom, etc. Go thru the motions of doing laundry so you work out the details for the way YOU like to approach this task.

Toilet is close to bedroom. Shower is unbelievable. The size of the vanities put together adds more presence and balances out the other areas.

Yes, you may need a slightly larger tub than what the designer planned for, particularly the width. Even if you are not a tub person, I would still try out tubs to find one that fits you and your husband personally. Pay attention to the basin or interior dimensions. 5 foot tubs can really vary as far as their interior basin lengths. I'm sure you have read the many suggestions that folks make as far as having dedicated or plentiful hot water for tubs. I

I'm so happy that your new plan matches the luxurious space that you have dedicated for your master bathroom.

Thought about it some more and came back with some thoughts. Yes, the 28 inch closet door is small. And you may get tired of walking around the tub since you are not a tub person. What about placing it parallel to the closet wall so that you will have more open space in the center of the room and you will not feel crowded in front of the vanity. A 5 foot tub is fine if the basin length is good for you, but I would look at a 34-36 width.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 20:27

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

like the new plan. If you don't want to walk around tub all the time, could you turn it horizontally against the wall but still make it a showpiece with tub and faucet selection?

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

It's a much improved design. A few comments:

1) The entry doors. For me to walk through a single 18" wide door I have to turn sideways. Will you ever walk through a single 1-6 door? If not, then every time you go in and out of the bath you'll have to open and close two doors. With two hands.

Honestly, I understand the "design feature" of double doors. But in this application, because of the size of them they just don't seem practical. I'd maintain the overall width but I'd go with a single 3-0 door.

2) The centerline of the entry door is slightly off-center from the centerline of the tub. If that's okay with you, then that's fine.

3) Tub orientation. I agree with others, it may depend on the style of the tub and your bathing habits, but I'd consider rotating the tub 90-degrees, and I'd also consider increasing the width of the tub.

4) Water closet. Your local code might require the water closet door to open outwards. It's not uncommon for people to become incapacitated in a bathroom when using the toilet. If someone became incapacitated in a water closet, access becomes difficult with an inward opening door.

5) Traffic pattern to the closet: the current set-up is certainly usable, there is nothing wrong with it. But think how you will use the space. Would you prefer the closet door to be on the on the vanity side of the tub or the shower side of the tub? It's totally up to you and how you feel the space will best serve you.

6) Closet space. The shoe rack. Take a good look at the closet rods and how a rod of hanging clothes will impinge on the existing walkways through the closet. Hanging clothes are generally 24" deep. So they will, in general, extend 12" into the closet from where the rods are. I'm aware that due to the 90-degree turns in the closet that clothes will not stick out at many of the inside and outside turns. However, "as is", the shoe rack combined with hanging clothes creates a few choke points in the closet.

Perhaps the shoe rack could be redesigned to better fit the space. Or if it's a large "lazy susan" rotating type of rack, it could even be relocated to a corner within the closet instead of in its current central location.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

what if the circular shoe rack was made into a small island instead - more centered in the closet, then you could use the top to fold items coming out of the laundry and put drawers or shelves underneath for shoes/accessories.

If you swap tub location with shower, you gain window over tub as in your original plan and could still have plenty of room to build out your curved wall shower.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn! I thought I was ready to move on to the kitchen. Thanks to all of your great thoughts...Here is my barbaric attempt at a re-draw of Master bath.

Doors- agreed; definitely too small.Looking into pocket or the new twist on pocket doors

[Modern Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by Other Metro Media & Bloggers Adrienne DeRosa

Tub- needs centered, for sure! Perhaps it could be placed a few different ways if we move shower entrance?

Closet Spacing- I think I could steal 1-2 feet from the shower & push that wall out(on the left side of closet). Do we REALLY need almost 9ft long shower??? I would enjoy another entry on that side, even if I have to relocate the shower entrance to the other side.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Since you were willing to shorten the shower and you were interested in two entries to the closet, I took a few more liberties. Quite a few!

In an attempt to compact the left side of the room:

1) I made the powder room a tad narrower. Maybe 6" narrower? Because it was made more narrow, the toilet was shifted up as was the window over the toilet. It was 3-11, which is generous. Now it's maybe 3-5 or 3-4. Whatever it needs to be.

2) I hated doing this, but I changed your shower. Because I narrowed the powder room, it took the 45-degree clip off of the corner of the powder room. With the powder room squared up, and because I was going to shorten the shower, I widened up the end of the shower adjacent to the powder room. So you lose some of the aesthetic you had with the curve, but you do gain a larger space within the shower.

3) By narrowing the powder room and shortening the shower, I moved the washer/dryer up a bit. I didn't pull the entire closet wall up. I just installed the W/D into a bit of a niche.

4) I turned the tub sideways and nestled it into a bit of a recess in the closet wall. Now there's a door on each side of the tub going into the closet.

5) I shortened the vanity by about 12" and placed the filler cabinet between the two vanities.

6) I messed with the closet a bit. Put a laundry table next to the W/D, etc.

7) The centerline of the room is still a bit skewed. The "tub to bathroom door" centerline is okay, but then the closet is off, because they tie together with the wall behind the tub.

Oh well...

And a couple of variations, moving the W/D, adding a few more feet of closet rod, and adding your original shower back in to the mix:

And lastly, changing the water closet a bit to a clipped entry and reversing the swing of the bathroom door:

You can mix and match or discard them all! lol

However it ends up, I hope you enjoy your new room. Good luck with it all.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mongoct-That is awesome! I love the symmetry of the W/D in the middle! I NEVER even thought of that. Thanks for giving me a "clean" look at the drawing too : )

The shower will be shaped less like the original & more like what you came up with so that works great.

After researching tubs last night I found some 70" tubs that make more since for us. Not sure it would fit in the space but it's worth trying.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Sort of off topic...but the washer and dryer. If you go with them on the tub wall, if the stacked set would be too visually imposing, you could set them side-by-side as well. Front loaders raised on storage pedestals work well. That would also afford some storage below the W/D, and possibly "seasonal storage" of sorts in wall cabinets or on wall shelving above the W/D.

But all that written, the real reason I did a follow-up post was to recommend you consider a Fantech booster fan for the dryer. It'll help the dryer perform better with shorter run times, and keep the closet a bit more fresh.

And you're welcome. I'm glad the drawings helped a bit.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mongoct- Your plans REALLY helped to finalize our dream bathroom, thanks a million! I will post once I have the finals back.
    Do you know what to look for or stay away from when considering the W/D for our closet? Obviously the vent seems like a great idea but do you have any advise on the units themselves?
    I have posted on the laundry forum but I wanted to ask you also.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I see your post in the laundry forum. I wont post there yet until you get some action. I don't want your post to drop too fast. The laundry forum can be slower than this forum. They have great people over there.

Read all you can on the different searches on the laundry forum. Frequent sets that come up that people are very happy with are Speed Queen and Miele. There may be others. Speed Queen is heavy and well made. Old school so not a lot of bells and whistles, but people love that too. Miele is very well built and heavy. They are not the mega machines that are out there. I have a set and am hoping that I get years of service out of them. Both SQ and Miele are supposed to be long lived.

Don't get an LG top loading HE unit. Some of these units have fallen apart while in the spin cycle. Then they made a recall and changed the program on the spin cycle. That was apparently all they did to this defective machine. Now they spin very slow and people have been very unhappy. LG also recommended not to put in some articles of clothing such as rain wear.

The only issues with Miele that I am aware of is price and that the size might not accommodate all bedding sizes. I have a queen bed and am fine with the sheets and pillow covers. A queen comforter should fit but I haven't tried that yet. I am not sure if it will take a King comforter. Do a search on that topic in the forum and you may come up with some helpful information.

Something else to consider that is important. Miele, and I am sure others do as well, recommends that front loaders be placed next to a load bearing wall. And in a corner if I remember correctly. This is so you don't have the very high speeds of the machine effecting the joists. You don't want them setting in the middle of the joist system because it will bounce more, like a trampoline. If it goes on cement then perfect. So in your search for machines see the installation instructions they have, to determine placement recommendations.

Oh what the heck, I will post this over there too. See what happens with other's comments. Hopefully a great discussion will be the result :)

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I'm no authority on washers or dryers, but I can offer you my opinion.

For an installation like yours, I'd want the washer to have a gasketed door. The sealed door minimizes increased moisture/humidity in the closet. There might be top loaders with that feature, but it'll usually steer you towards a front loader.

LG are the ones I'm most familiar with. I occasionally see other brands, but I'd have to say that probably two out of three times the spec sheets I see are for LG machines.

I do a fair amount of laundry in my own house myself. Neither my wife or I are really into the fancy bells and whistles, steam features, etc. We've had a basic LG front load set in our own house (upstairs laundry) for maybe the past 10 years. No maintenance issues, no gripes or complaints.

Look into water protection. At a minimum have a manual shutoff valve behind the machine that is easily accessible. A valve that looks similar to this:

With the cover plate it looks like this:

With the above valve, make sure they plumb in water hammer arrestors on the hot and cold sides above the valve. The hammers will take some of the hydraulic pressure off of your braided hoses when the washing machine's valves snap open and closed.

You want more protection then a manual valve? You can go automated. A valve with actuators that will turn the water off if the water sensor on the floor detects water. It also senses when the machine is off, when it's off it closes the valves:

I always use Watts valves.

You can add a flood pan underneath too. It can simply be a catch basin, or the center punch-out can be removed and it can actually be plumbed into a drain system:

As top loaders have lost ground to front loaders over the past 10 years, top loaders have evolved and improved. But with front loaders, you'll generally get a more economical wash, the much faster spin cycle will spin more moisture out of the clothes, and that can result in a shorter drying cycle.

I gave you more info about things you didn't ask for than the one thing you asked for. Oh well...

Good luck!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Mongoct, you are such a help. I remember you helping me on this very topic.

RhettDrive, I have been responding to your post over on the laundry forum, with some pictures of my setup.

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mongoct- your words of advice are ALWAYS welcome & valid. Many thanks to you & enduring for the help. I will copy this & give to the builder.
    I have a few different options for the layout of the bathroom. I'm not too wild about the tub on a slant option but it may be growing on me.
    Let me know what you guys think!

This post was edited by RhettDrive on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 22:37

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bath tub angled...
    (I apparently have forgotten how to upload more than one pic for a post)

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

# 3 option...

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Have you chosen your tub yet? I know that the tub in the original was too small, but a 72 x 42 freestanding tub may be just a tad too big. Even if you are selecting a tub for two people, you can get by with a smaller freestanding tub. That would give a few more inches for your passage ways. Maybe 72 x 36 or 66 x 36. But it is good that the designer is planning for the largest sized tub.

I like all of the designs. I would suggest that for the angled version, swing the tub out just a little more to where it's curve becomes more of opposite parenthesis with the shower's curve, You may have to wait until you actually install the tub to do so. Also, you may have to position an oval a little more differently than a racetrack shaped tub.

shower ) ( tub

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 10:36

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna_in_TX- You bring up a valid point about making the curves parallel, as I consider the angled option your advice helps!
    I think the builder considered the biggest tub to be on the safe side but we are looking more @ the 70X34ish tubs; still doing my research : )

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still awaiting the final plans, I will post asap. The weather brought things to a halt but it's is warmer now & we are back in business.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of progress

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Oh My! Which BR did you end up deciding on?

• lafdr
    10 years ago

I have one suggestion with the final version. Why have a shoe rack in front of a window? Since there is no shelf space I see on the window side, I would put a nonstacking washer dryer on that spot with a high up window that allows light but is private. And I would have a big folding/storing counter over the non stacking washer dryer. This would put the washer dryer on an exterior wall which I would prefer for venting. And if the shoe rack is put where the washer dryer is, it would be the last thing you pass after getting dressed. Or quick access if you are slipping out of shoes at the end of the day. But the plan is awesome as is and I would trade it for my bathroom set up in a heartbeat!

• RhettDrive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We chose the 1st option w/ a few slight modifications.

lafdr- Unfortunately that window is a main focal point on the front of the house so we are limited, otherwise your option would be best.

Lawd help us all but we are redoing the exterior of the house now too. Thank goodness we have the BEST builder on the planet and she totally gets me! Will post new pics asap.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

So excited for you! You are going to have one awesome BR/Closet!

I can't imagine being able to literally undress and throw your dirty clothes right into the Washing machine! LOL