Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Thermasol steam generator not turning on

phiwwy
11 years ago

I have a call into tech support, but if anyone has any ideas why the steam generator will not turn on I'd appreciate them.

Plumber installed the steam head and together we connected the steam controller and siliconed it to the wall (kerdi fix in the hole where the cable came out of the tile.

The LED illuminates but I can't seem to turn it on. We did not want to turn it on when plumber was here because we wanted the silicone to set up. So I waited a week.

I'm dying to crank this up and make sure it works! Thanks.

Comments (11)

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

All I can offer is to look at the "doh!" items. You don;t mention what model generator or what controller you have, so my answer will be a bit generic:

The remote should have been connected to the generator with the generator power OFF. If everything is properly connected you can reset the system by turning off the steam generator's circuit breaker, waiting a minute, then turning it back on.

They have several versions of remote controllers. Depending on what remote you have and the bells and whistles you have (music, etc), they can all be a little different. I hate to say it, but have your instruction manual out, and make sure you are in the proper "controller menu" for the system you purchased.

However, check all your connections first:

-Does the itself generator have electrical power? Is it plugged in or hard wired, and the 240v breaker in the service panel is turned on?

-Does it have water? Is the water supply valve open? Did the plumber already flush the system?

-Is the power flush valve closed?

-The remote, they have several versions, some battery powered, some hard wired. Some both. If you're getting a light I'd guess batteries are installed and/or the wire is connected. Just confirm that the cable is indeed connected to the unit.
    These things are pretty much bulletproof to operate and idiotproof (no insult intended) to install. So unless there's a disconnect (literally or figuratively) with your plumber and plumbing or electrician and electrical, yeah, see what tech support has to say.

Do report back with the solution. I've put a few of these in. I really like the units. I'm interested in any potential problems and in any solutions.

Best of luck!
    Mongo

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mongoct - our posts must have crossed but I read yours with great interest.

First a little info from my end: i have the PRO 240. No light or music thus no remote.

The control is affixed to the wall. Water connection is on/open.

A couple of questions/concerns I'd love to run by you:
    the power to the generator was on when we plugged the control into the wire and affixed it to the wall, and also when he installed the steam head and rough (I'm guessing that is not biggie). Once we properly aligned the pins on the yellow cable, the LED illuminated, that's how we knew we got the pins lined up (aging eyes here).

I do not see a power switch on the unit - is there one, perhaps at the back?

The cable is NOT in a conduit (as I read it's suggested). Do you foresee a problem?

The generator is plugged in - it's either a 3 prong or 4 prong (I forget).

Far as I know, the plumber did NOT flush the system. how is this done? We did not want to turn on the steam immediately after installing the head because of the silicone - we wanted that to fully dry. Also, the glass is not in yet so I assume he cannot run the power flush.

What is or where is the "power flush valve"?

Is "flush the system" synonymous with "power flush"?

Oh and the instruction manual shows only a similar controller, not the exact one but I seem to have figured most of it out. I set the time and turned it on. Here's a pix of where the unit is in relation to the shower.

Thanks for your info. I've been extremely nervous about this steam shower - the water/vapor proofing, etc for the duration of this project, which let to firing the GC (due to lack of knowledge/concern for the issues associated with a steam shower), and get someone to use the full-on KERDI system(kerdi pan and drain installed over the previously spec'd copper pan!), kerdi board, kerdi membrane, etc. I just hope and pray we got it right.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

"A couple of questions/concerns I'd love to run by you:
    the power to the generator was on when we plugged the control into the wire and affixed it to the wall...(I'm guessing that is not biggie)." Ah, that was the problem. Connecting the controller to a powered generator can cause a lock out.

"I do not see a power switch on the unit - is there one, perhaps at the back?" Nope, no power switch on the unit. To unpower the unit you need to unplug the generator or turn off the breaker.

"The cable is NOT in a conduit (as I read it's suggested). Do you foresee a problem?" If there is a pigtail plug that got wired onto the unit that got plugged into an wall outlet, then you don't need conduit. If, however, the generator was "hard wired" with individual conductor wires (should be three, 2 power/black and one ground/green), then those three conductors should be in conduit, or some sort of sleeve.

"The generator is plugged in - it's either a 3 prong or 4 prong (I forget)." Well, there you go, no need for conduit!

"Far as I know, the plumber did NOT flush the system. how is this done?" He doesn't have to flush the generator, but he should have flushed the water supply line that feeds the generator AFTER all his connections were made up but BEFORE it was connected to the generator.

The water supply line should have a "threaded union" that connects it to top of the generator. That can be unthreaded, a bucket put under it, and the water supply valve opened. The goal is to flush out any debris in the supply tubing to wash out bits of copper, solder, flux, etc, junk left over from any soldering that was performed. There is a debris screen in the unit. But it helps to flush the line beforehand.

"We did not want to turn on the steam immediately after installing the head because of the silicone - we wanted that to fully dry. Also, the glass is not in yet so I assume he cannot run the power flush." Correct. You need the glass up before you power flush.

"What is or where is the "power flush valve"?" They should have left you the installation/instruction manual. But the power flush is sort of like a "self-cleaning cycle" for the generator. It'll wash out mineral deposits, etc. There are guidelines on how often to do it. More often if you have bad water. The power flush valve is on top of the generator.

"Is "flush the system" synonymous with "power flush"? No. I wrote "flush the system" which is sort of misleading. I should have written "flush the supply line". As described above. "Power flush" is the generator deep cleaning itself.

Aw heck, I went and looked up the manual for you in case they didn't leave you one.

You picked an excellent generator by the way.

Get that shower glass up so you can enjoy it!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much mongoct. Very helpful as usual. Here's a photo of the closet where the generator lives. I don't know that they could fit a bucket there to flush the water supply line. But I will definitely ask them to clean out the debris screen. It seems like other than possible debris everything is looking good for steam. I was able to turn it on and see steam come out, so I can't wait for that glass!

Do you think I should have the plumber back to flush the line/clean out the screen before I start using it?

Thanks again.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

"Do you think I should have the plumber back to flush the line/clean out the screen before I start using it? "

If he didn't flush out the supply line after he made it up, then yes, I'd ask him to come back, flush out the line, and check the debris screen.

One other thing. It's hard to tell from the photo how deep your cleaning supplies go back on the storage shelf. In your photo it looks like all the plumbing is behind the front edge of the drain pan, so it shouldn't be a problem. But if there is any way possible that the cleaning supplies can touch the steam outlet pipe (the soldered copper tube) then I'd wrap that in steam-rated insulation. I'd hate to see the hot copper melt through a bottle of detergent.

Steam-rated insulation is normally fiberglass, it comes in 3' lengths, and costs about $5 a length. One three foot section would work for you. It'd also prevent the possibility of someone reaching for cleaning supplies and contacting the steam pipe when the generator is running.

Protect that communicator wire, too!

And an apology...in my previous post I wrote "...the power flush valve is on top of the generator."

That's true on other models, but not for your model. The power flush for your model is activated only through the remote. The PRO also has a 1000 minute lockout cycle to act as a reminder of when to do the power flush. You can do it more often should you choose.

And lastly, you are most welcome!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great point about the detergent - I checked and it can't come into contact and the communicator wire is fortunately no where near the steam pipe. Whew!

Counting the days til the glass goes in.... and yes I will get him to flush the line. Thanks for the help!

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

My concern with the yellow communicator wire wasn't so much it coming in contact with the steam pipe, but more that a box of "storage stuff" could be slid back on the shelf and bend/shear/damage the communicator wire's connection point.

• HU-222480854
    3 years ago

My unit is hammering when it’s try to go to steam

• HU-693790540
    6 months ago

Hi my unit has water running out the steam head.. ho how do i stop it?

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I would run the power wash cycle. Have you run that monthly? If not, may need to run it a few times.