Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood baseboard and tile question

Posted by dd70 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 8:21

hi all, I need some help with bath remodel. We will be tiling a 3 wall tub/shower surround. The front and back wall extend about 2" beyond the bathtub so the tile will have to extend beyond the tub ledge unfortunately. We have the tile floor down and will be using wood baseboard trim. My question is should the extended wall tile end at the top of the baseboard OR should the tile go down to the floor and baseboard butt up against the tile (like it would on a trimmed out entry way opening). I'm not sure if there is right or wrong way or if its a matter of personal preference? by the way we do not have the surround tile picked out yet (and that's a whole other dilema) so i don't know the thickness. Any help is greatly appreciated, this bath has been apart for 2 years and I would love to get it finished ;)
thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood baseboard and tile question

Our tub surround tile extends down over the edge of the tubs (in both bathrooms). It stops at the top of the wood base board molding in both as well. No pics unfortunately.

Had we run the tile down to the floor, and the molding up to the tile, I think the side of our base molding (as thin as ours is) would have stuck out further than the tile .

o

In my main bathroom (with tub/shower combo), I was initially intending to install wood baseboard around the room and ended up trimming out the edge of the tub/shower with bullnose tile and then carried the bullnose tile around the room instead of wood baseboard. It was not my initial plan, but I'm really pleased with the result. The trim around the door is still wood and it goes all the way down to the floor with the tile baseboard butted up against it. I just thought I would mention it in case you wanted to give some thought to using bullnose instead of wood.

o

thanks for the responses. Catmom that makes sense to me and thats what I thought but my husband is having a hard time picturing it. Cactus I did think of that and that will depend on what type of tile we pick for the surround. I also thought of carrying the tile across the one wall (half way up). the other wall is where the toilet/vanity are so I'm not so concerned with that side, its a small bathroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here