Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comfortable shower bench

Posted by whk1 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 7:45

I'm trying to come up with a design for a teak shower bench that is as comfortable as possible to sit on. It is going to be almost 4 feet long. The rest of the dimensions and choices are

height - 17.5"
depth - 17"
typical slats run from side to side (so lets ignore edge detail)
slat width - 3/4", 1",????
gap between slats - 1/2"???
shape of bench - Could be flat, or the more central slats could be slightly lower?

Too many choices! I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comfortable shower bench

Are you building the bench? Or looking for one to buy?
Below is a link to a nice one. It's a little taller than 17" but it might help with your design. I really like the fact that it's curved. That way, if you have it on a sloped part of the floor you won't notice it as much. The lower shelf is a nice feature as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: teak bench

o

If you are making your own and want to replicate the design linked above you could use this hardware for the shelf...

Here is a link that might be useful: wire shoe rail

o

I'll be making the bench, so I've got a lot of choices I can make. That is a very attractive looking bench. I like the wide slats and small gaps. The curve from from side to side looks great, but I'd think that a human contoured seat should be curved from front to back. I'll have to clamp a bunch of 3/4' lumber together to experiment with the sort of shape that is most comfortable to sit on.

I just found an example of front to back curvature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bench

This post was edited by whk1 on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 7:02

o

Make sure you check the weight limit. DH is pushing on 300 lbs. When I was looking around, except for Serena, most benches had limit of 250 or less (like the one from Frontgate above - it's beautiful but not sturdy enough IMO).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here