Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

What are your favorite bath towels/accessories and why?

phiwwy
11 years ago

I'm so excited that our glass is going in next week and we will be able to use our shower/steam shower. We desperately need new towels. I like fluffy but absorbant.

I like the Thomas Obrien from Target but it's not absorbant enough. I have always liked Fieldcrest Royal (something) but it takes at least 10 washings to get all the fuzz out, and they're absorbant but not fluffy.

Any recommendations for some nice towels for our new master bath to put under the tree?

Also need some countertop accessories (for cotton balls, Q-tips, etc). Any suggestions? I was thinking clear or cut glass with polished nickel tops. Would love some suggestions for where to find.

Thanks!

Comments (26)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Oooooo, your vanity is looking great!

I love the Microdry towels from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Very soft, like microfiber, but also fluffy and absorbent. They had the perfect purple for my masterbath.

I wish I could tell you where to find the Fieldcrest Luxury polished nickel & glass countertop accessories that I have but I found them on clearance at Target and I believe that they are discontinued. They are super high quality, comparable to ones that I looked at that were 3x the price. Do you have a Home Goods or Tuesday Morning store near you? That's where I'd start.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Interested in these replies as I am in the same boat for my DIY budget bath renovation. I'm looking for gray towels if anyone has seen any yummy grays I'd love to know.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I got all our accessories at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are all brushed, either nickle or SS, can't recall. The places I usually look, aside from there, are Target, Home Depot, and Lowes. I like those places because the prices are reasonable and they tend to display a variety of styles with several pieces for each set. Amazon might be a good place too if those stores don't pan out.

• duvetcover
    11 years ago

Here is an old Gardenweb thread re towels.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1214115031062.html

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

treasure - thanks! the hallogen recessed lights went in yesterday and they really bring out the sparkle in the countertop! I'm liking it so much more now, and it really highlights the faucets too.

I saw a nice gray towel at Home Goods - brand was Ralph Lauren. Anyone have these? No luck there on polished nickel there.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I just bought a set of towels from Costco.com, and they're terrific. They are not big and fluffy, so phylhl might not love them, but there are bands of fluff and less fluff, so the texture is nice. Costco has several offerings of towel sets, some made in Turkey and some in China; I believe many of them are made by Kassatex, which is a brand Macy's sells for a lot more.

I found terrible reviews on some of the Ralph Lauren towels - the Greenwich and Carlisle. So I'd be sure to figure out the line and do a quick search for reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: costco towels

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I have Hotel Collections towels. I bought them from Home Goods but I think Macys carries them too. They are everything you hope for in a towel.

• enduring
    11 years ago

mabeldingeldine, I bought some towels at Target that match almost to a T, my gray walls that are blue undertoned. My BM paint is called Bunny Gray, and the towels are Jubilee Blue in the Thomas O'Brien brand. They are the softest blue gray that I have found.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, Enduring. I will look at Target.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I like towels from Restoration Hardware. I also have some of their accessories and hardware. I particularly like the Spritz collection for towel bars, towel rings, and toilet paper holders. I also have a waste can and extra toilet paper holder from Restoration Hardware.

• Shelley Graham
    11 years ago

Try towels from 1888 Mills, available from Amazon. They are made in Africa and are wonderful...read the reviews.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Just a caution about Target towels. If you buy the lighter colors, no problem, so you should be fine with gray. But the darker, more vivid ones never stop running. I have some that are almost ten years old in dark blue and green, and they still have to be washed separately or the whole load gets tinted. They've held up very well otherwise.

• TSG1104
    11 years ago

What are your countertops? They are really nice.

Sorry, I'm new to the forums and my search to see if you had already posted about this did not turn up anything.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tsg - the countertops are Ivory Supreme, also seen as Super White or Supreme White. And thank you. With the hallogen lights now in above the sinks, they really sparkle. There are threads of gold in the granite - very interesting.

Now back to the towels. I tried the most plush brand from Bed Bath and Beyond, and it was too fluffy for me. I guess I should go with absorbant as the priority. It's so hard to tell in the stores. Target towels, which we have a set of for guests, I don't find absorbant enough for daily use.
    I will look at the Hotel Collection and Restoration Hardware brands. thanks all.

• karin_2015
    11 years ago

Hi sorry I was distracted by your beautiful vanity. I love the black..do you know what stain/paint was used? Also what is your countertop material?

• karin_2015
    11 years ago

Sorry I just saw you mentioned the countertop is Ivory Supreme. Sorry for the duplicate question (I'm new here.)

• karin_2015
    11 years ago

Sorry I just saw you mentioned the countertop is Ivory Supreme. Sorry for the duplicate question (I'm new here.)
    Good luck with your towel and accessory shopping!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karin - the vanity is Dover Woods in a Beluga stain. The Ivory Supreme was found on a wide hunt for Super White - and a granite yard had both, which was very hard to find at the time this spring. We love it, but the stone has fissures and one piece broke during installation, and the replacement slab, even though I approved it, is not quite as beautiful as the original. Soon I will post pix when the bathroom is completed and you will see the other pieces from the original slab.

Anyway, back to the towels - I wound up with Fieldcrest Luxury from Target - the colors are great and I think I like the feel of the towels. Tough to tell until a bunch of washes though. Still looking for other accessories....

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

My all-time favorites are/were Martex Grand Patrician Egyptian Cotton but I don't think you can buy these any longer. I'm still using the ones I purchased 15 years ago when we built our house and they don't even look worn. Recently purchased a couple of Ralph Lauren and they seem ok so far after several washings. My main complaint is that the hand towels aren't nearly as large as they used to be. I bought some Pottery Barn towels for the guest bath and they seems to be a good size but are very thick, and I'm not sold on those just yet either.

• gfiliberto
    11 years ago

My favorite towels are made in England by Christy. They are cotton with some silk in them- very soft and absorbent. Bloomingdales used to carry them. I think The Company Store has them online.

• belasea
    11 years ago

I have restoration hardware towels that I have used for the past year and I must say that I'm not that pleased with them. They snag super easy, take longer to dry and they have faded in certain places. Just sharing my experience.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

If you're willing to wait possibly a long time... woot.com sells a 6-piece micro cotton set every so often. They're inexpensive and wonderful.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Like artteacher, my very favorite towels are by Christy. We love huge fluffy bath sheets - they're soft and absorbent, and on sale, not too bad a price. I got them at Bloomingdale's.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

My favorite towels are by Matouk. They are beautifully made, fluffy but not heavy. They wash really nicely. I got them at Bloomingdales.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

We had Martex for 16 years and they finally died - before that my DH always liked Ralph Lauren - but they aren't the same anymore.
    I bought B3 Charisma Microfiber towels 2 years ago and we are still on the first set of washcloths (my DHs stubble usually eats them alive)
    My SIL swears by JC Penny towels and I bought a set for the guest BR. They haven't had much use but are quite soft.
    I will have to try some of the other brands listed if I ever wear out the B3 model (hoping for 15 years again)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville