Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
execassistant

Curved Shower Curtain Rod Placement

Debbie Laird
9 years ago

I believe our caprenter installed our Moen curved shower curtain rod too far in. I don't have the directions to check, but it is in far enough in, maybe 8", that when closed, the curtain hangs vertically straight inside the tub. I think we actually lost space. A you tube video shows an install .5" above and 1.5 inside the surround. Can anyone help me? Where are your brackets and what else to I need to consider?

Comments (5)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have the Moen curved rod and I love it!!! I almost didn't put it in because I had a phobia about drilling holes into new tile. So glad I got over it.

Just did a quick measure. The front (entry) deck of my tub is approx. 4.5" wide. The brackets are centered over it. The outer curve of the rod is approximately at the outer edge of the deck.

I wanted to have the benefit of the curve while containing water at either end, and also to be able to open the curtain, push it off to one side, and appear to hang straight down outside the tub.

I don't understand your .5" above measurement. I found a curtain I like (love actually, striped white hotel from BB&B) and placed the rod so that I don't step on it while taking a shower and it hangs far enough down on the outside. I prefer an open shower when not being used. I'd rather look at my nice tile and plumbing than a shower curtain.

The extra room while showering is astonishing. The curve at the ends totally keeps water contained.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have a double curved shower rod. My tub has an acrylic surround and the outside edge of the surround is even with the outside edge of the tub. I mounted the rod so that the outside rod is lined up with the edge of the surround because I didn't want the curtain to protrude too much into the room. The inside rod is then about 4 inches in. It works perfect. Contains the water well and gives more elbow room.
    If you have a single rod, it should be mounted no more than 3 inches in but could actually be mounted in the same location as a straight rod would be as long as the shower curtain is wide enough and long enough. Your rod is definitely mounted in too far. Hope he didn't drill through tile to mount it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Interesting. I have two. In the master bathroom, I installed "The Arc" shower curtain rod myself. I just guessed at the placement. Lol. The inside edge of the bracket is 8 inches from the outside edge of the shower/tub.

The other arched rod, in the other bathroom, is a cheapo from Bed, Bath & Beyond I had to rush out to get when the old one came crashing down and I had tenants coming. The old one had been installed by the prior owner, WAY too high and too far in.

The new BB&B rod, inside edge of the bracket is 4 inches from the outside edge of the shower. Yet, the BB&B rod doesn't give as much elbow room as "The Arc" rod because the Arc has a much larger arch. The Arc is made from 'airplane aluminum", so it is flexible. You can even cut it to fit if you have to do so.

So, the shower that has the Arc rod but which has the anchors much farther in has much more room, while the arched rod which is set farther out has less.

I suspect the Moen rod is more like the BB&B rod, so 8 inches in would be WAY too much, rendering the arch of the rod all but useless.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My Moen curved single rod is mounted where Badgergirl's outside rod is. It allows the outer curtain to hang straight down. I use the U-shaped rolling rings with a liner. There's no side leakage because the liners are ample.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I'm going to have him move it. Fortunatley, it was NOT tile.