Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

Attractive grab bars?

southofsa
9 years ago

My 85 yr old mother broke her hip about a month ago. During the couse of rehab one of the short term plans that is being discussed is that she could live with each of her 3 daughters for 4-5 weeks until her house is renovated so she can return home{{gwi:807}}.

My bathroom plan included putting up blocking behind the tile in my walk in shower so that grab bars could be added in the future if needed. Well the future is here. The demo is done, the plumber starts today, and my completion date is January 9. I need to pick out bars fast.

I've started the Internet search, bathroom{{gwi:807}} forum seach, and will try to hit some stores this weekend. But I'm reaching out to tap the endless experience of those on this site for any/all suggestions you might have.

I know people have talked about newer bars that aren't "hospital-like" looking. More attractive but still safe. That's what I'm interested in.

Overall my bathroom is transitional leaning toward contemporary in style (I hope-designing is not my strength). My fixtures are brushed nickel. It's not important to me that the finishes match perfectly

Any and all suggestions are welcomed-

Thanks- Lisa

This post was edited by southofsa on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 6:53

Comments (21)

• kats737
    9 years ago

Try doing a search for luxury or designer grab bars to get you started. Iirc, Jaclo makes some.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I remember this one from Signature Hardware being mentioned in another thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: grab bar

• LE
    9 years ago

I looked at all of them. Ended up with Kohler Purist. A lot of it depends on what style you like, but there are several options-- I wanted something extremely simple and not too traditional.

Look for posts by "enduring," I think that is where I first saw them installed. It is always hard to judge from the manufacturer's photos.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

How about the great grabz line, they have an acrylic version with many color options, as well as a wave style.

Here is a link that might be useful: grab bar link

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Here's where I found mine. We have the contemporary looking "Air" bar. Didn't want that nursing home look.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Smedbo grab bars

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Also, if you do a search here, there are several previous threads with many suggestions. Use the search box at the bottom of the screen, not the one at the top.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got home from work and opened this up. Thank you all so much! This will be amazingly helpful to jump start the search. I'll post back with what I decided on. And hopefully, someday in the not too distant future, the finished bathroom.

Lisa

• aknall
    9 years ago

I used Delta grab bars in my shower reno and I love them. Very substantial and look great. Mine may not be contemporary enough for you, but I think they could fit a transitional design. I've posted a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Grab Bar

• mdln
    9 years ago

Good for you, helping your mom in the time of need! i work in healthcare and all too often see families unwilling to do what you are.

I saw this IRL, it looked so good it took me awhile to realize it was a grab bar. will post picks of others in the series.

• mdln
    9 years ago

in shower bar

• mdln
    9 years ago

another in shower

• mdln
    9 years ago

with a soap dish

• mdln
    9 years ago

different brand, sorry individual posts (tech problem with my photosharing)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

southofusa-
    Just go to Amazon.com and Build.com and type "grab bar" into the search engine. You'll find many, many styles and sizes. When I was searching for a grab bar recently, I found that higher price does not necessarily correlate with higher quality. I purchased a stylish, well-built item that was well under $100...but I could have spent 5 times that for something that looked very similar. Another advantage of using those sites is that you will generally have reviews available that will help you determine if something reasonably priced is good quality as well, and that some name brands have premium prices on something that is not demonstrably better.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got home from work and opened this up. Thank you all so much! This will be amazingly helpful to jump start the search. I'll post back with what I decided on. And hopefully, someday in the not too distant future, the finished bathroom.

Lisa

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

in re the Invisia stuff, Moen has corner shelves, wall baskets, towel bars, toilet paper holders, etc. that are also grab bars for much less.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Agree with writersblock, Moen has less expensive versions.

The Invisia look and feel more high-end designer IRL. If that is not what you are looking for, am sure the Moen would be fine.

I first saw the Invisia in a showroom display bathroom and initially did not realize they were grab bars.

Especially liked the TP holder; would have bought it if my BR was more contemporary/modern style.

A friend of mine has a grab bar in her shower, from a previous owner; she uses it to hold her soap & shampoo bottles. They sit on top of the bar, resting against the wall. Works great, much easier to clean than a shelf or niche.

Good luck, hope you find something you like.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Very informative thread! I didn't know grab bars could "double" as other necessities -- I also like the toilet tissue holder best.

I have grab bars in my shower, and they are "nursing home chic". I'm glad to see I can do better in my new house. In addition, I've already decided to use penny round tile in my bath, and a number of these things mirror that circular look.

A question though: My grab bars are fat. Perhaps 3" in diameter? These look smaller. Which is better for a hand hold?

This post was edited by MrsPete on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 15:50

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

MrsPete-
    Grab bars are intended to be fat (at least compared to towel racks). Most grab bars are about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". This size is based on safety studies about what diameter provides the best grip for most people. I doubt that yours are anywhere close to 3" in diameter.

• esga
    9 years ago

Some grab bars have a textured material on the inside which provides a more secure grip. I think Moen makes a line of these at a very reasonable cost. Look on mrgtabbar.com, which has advice about placement.

My new shower is blocked for eventual grab bars, but right now I am only installing 9" ones at the entrance.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource