Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

Plumbing question- anyone seen tubing like this used tor pipes?

southofsa
9 years ago

I don't know if these pics show what I'm talking about. They'll probably come out upside down since I took them with the iPad.

Basically the water outlets which were on the right side of the tub alcove previously are being moved to the left side of the new shower alcove so we can access them more easily in the future (not on an exterior brick wall). When I got home this is what was used. It's slightly flexible but very thick feeling.

FWIW we have very hard water here and am concerned how well these will hold up in the long term. Hadn't seen them used in pics I've looked at.

Comments (11)

• southofsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The new outlet for the shower with the blue and red tubing.

Lisa

• llcp93
    9 years ago

We are renovating our master bath and a teenager bath. This is exactly what was put in in both bathrooms. Here is before, with the old copper pipes. This is looking into my master shower and through the wall into the boys bathroom. My house is circa 1998.

{{gwi:2133542}}

and here is with the new red and blue tubing.

{{gwi:2133544}}

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Pex is what it is called used everyday in place of copper. Considerably cheaper and you do not need to worry about ti getting stolen (although in your case inside a renovated, inhabited house should be no worries about that). No need to worry about it at all.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Pex is great stuff. Makes the work go a lot faster. No worries.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. That's what the contractor said too. Appreciate the confirmation.

Lisa

• Vertise
    9 years ago

No thanks. The rodent chewing issue is enough
    for me. They need water above food.

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

Copper is the gold standard, I have several plumbers in my family. They only use copper in their homes. That being said, PEX is acceptable. Quicker and cheaper. I am old school, I just like copper, it has served me well.

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

Copper is the gold standard, I have several plumbers in my family. They only use copper in their homes. That being said, PEX is acceptable. Quicker and cheaper. I am old school, I just like copper, it has served me well.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point about the rodents- not saying I haven't seen a mouse once or twice, but was more of an issue when I lived where the winters were colder.

Now the scorpions, that's another story. Maybe they're what keeps the mice away.

Thanks for the responses- it's been quite a week and knowing there's someplace to ask for second opinions helps keep the stress level down a bit.

Lisa

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

So are there known issues of mice chewing into the PEX lines? My daughter and SIL are about to start on their new home and mentioned using PEX. In the heat of the summer does one material help keep the water in the lines cooler than the other?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

So are there known issues of mice chewing into the PEX lines? My daughter and SIL are about to start on their new home and mentioned using PEX. In the heat of the summer does one material help keep the water in the lines cooler than the other?