Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louloulilac

60" double vanity- what to do with mirrors and lighting

L A
10 years ago

I have to get a 60" double vanity for my house I'm building now. My electrician wants to know where I'm putting the lights. I would like to have 3 sconces with 2 mirrors. I don't know how this will work though. Will I have to buy really narrow mirrors to accommodate the lights? I don't know how much space a sconce requires. I could go with overhead lighting but I've read online sconces provide better lighting. I have overhead lighting now and it always casts shadows. Here's a link to a couple vanities I'm considering.
http://m.costco.ca/Foremost-Larissa-61-in.-Double-Vanity.product.100072430.html
http://m.costco.ca/Covington-Double-Vanity.product.10335790.html
The pictures don't look like I have room for sconces. The mirrors aren't included with these. What do you think? I need to let my electrician know asap.

Comments (49)

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I did a quick search on houzz "bath sconces" and found several pictures. Most that had double sinks and side sconces where 72 inch vanities or wider. Maybe do something like the one below with lighting above 2 mirrors centered over each sink?

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by San Francisco Furniture & Accessories Pottery Barn

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Seattle Kitchen & Bath Designers Kayron Brewer, CKD, CBD / Studio K B

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Gast Architects

[Farmhouse Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2114) by Norwich Architects & Designers Smith & Vansant Architects PC

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Here are a couple more that appear to be closer to 60 inch vanities that look very nice with 2 mirrors and sconces. Maybe pick mirrors with a thin frame or no frame like the gorgeous bath below!

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Aldie Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Collins Tile and Stone

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Culver City Architects & Designers John Milander Architects

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think that 3 sconces would be too much on a wall above a 60" vanity--- unless the wall extended well beyond 60"- i would use above the mirror lighting. you could possibly mount sconces on the side walls if the vanity is in an 'alcove' with wall on either side, but i wouldn't want that... getting a lighted makeup mirror might help if you have problems with shadows- i have never had as much a problem as some people seem to with lighting and makeup....

the pics above all look larger than 60" to me...

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm struggling with the same thing! I hate above-mirror lighting (we had that in my last house and although the mirrors and lights were beautiful, the lighting was awful, plus in our one working bathroom right now, we have sconces on the sides so I know how much better that is). I'm considering putting in a full-vanity mirror with sconces that get attached through the mirror. Ugh.

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The vanity is going to be on a 10 foot wall. Not enclosed. I have huge issues with lighting in the house I live in now, so I want to make sure I have a nicely lit bathroom. Theres also a window on the wall between the vanity and the shelving. The bathroom is 10 x 9.

This post was edited by newfielou on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 15:14

• fnmroberts
    10 years ago

We updated our MBR just over a year ago. Our space only permits a 60" vanity.

I looked into separate mirrors - was especially interested in the tiling style. But, like you mention, they would be too small. We had a single mirror made-to-size and glued onto the wall as if "floating".

Our lights are over-the-mirror halogen (two bulbs per side) and offer very satisfactory illumination.

The vanity was built by a local cabinet maker and is 34" high. Both of us felt that 36" was a bit higher than we would find comfortable.

Photos are linked. Good luck with your build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bathroon

• azmom
    10 years ago

It does sound 10 feet wall space would help, since 2 mirrors, 3 sconces, all have to fit within 60 inches.

I like to leave 2 inches between mirror and sconce, at least 24 inches for each mirror. IMH less than 24 inches is too narrow. The width of sconce usually is around 4 inches or wider, each mirror needs to center to each faucet. Drawing everything on the paper it is easily to see there is no enough space to have a good layout.

We are going through the same decision for our master bathroom where the vanity is 78 inches. When fits everything in the look is too cluttered. We decided to use one big mirror for both sinks, and two 21 inches long LED light fixtures above the mirror. We have 4 can lights and one sky light above the vanity area so lighting for us is not an issue.

This post was edited by azmom on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 5:36

• enduring
    10 years ago

For your help here is my 60", single sink vanity drawn to scale with a 24" wide mirror and 2 sconces that have a 5" escutcheons. The room is 9' wide and ceiling is 8' high.

BTW I don't think those shaded fixtures you've show will give enough light for makeup. In my other bathroom I have 2 side sconces with 100w halogen bulbs and I need every bit of that light. They are with frosted glass shades. These new sconces, as shown above, will have 120w each.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

We are doing something like this over a 66" counter, I think our wall is around 9 ft. Our mirrors will be 20" wide and sconces I think are 4.5". check your sink spread to make sure there's sufficient room for the center sconce.

Here is a link that might be useful: 66

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Sorry, I had not looked at your sketch. Is the vanity going to be set into the corner or is there space between the vanity and the window wall? If you're in the corner I think you'd have a hard time getting 3 sconces.

• suger4630
    10 years ago

We just finished our master bath remodel and have a 60" vanity with double sinks. We were going from a vanity with one sink, one light and one large mirror. The doubles made me wonder which way to go as well, and we finally decided to go with two of everything. I could not be more satisfied with the finished product. Our lights and mirrors are from Lowes. Hope this helps.

• cblanco75
    10 years ago

I have a 72" vanity and narrow oval mirrors and three lights were a push. I would go with two mirrors with lights above.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have 2 side sconces with 100w halogen bulbs and I need every bit of that light.

In our hall bath, we put in side sconces over a 48" vanity, with LED lights (similar to the ones in enduring's picture). The light is great. I love halogen too but it gets very hot and we have a small room with no natural ventilation.

• enduring
    10 years ago

chelsercat, excellent example of a double sink and mirror with sconces. Very efficient use of elements within the confines of your space.

• M_N_A
    10 years ago

hmm, my guy was telling me that there is a code requirement that the fixture need to be 1 ft from the corner wall to prevent heat or something so i gave up the 3 sconce idea. but looks like it could be done (last pic above)?

• chelsercat
    10 years ago

We used a licensed electrician so I would think that he would have known the code. Could the code be different depending on your location maybe?
    The sconces are on a different switch from the recessed lights and both have dimmers so you can really control the lighting. Since the picture, we've added a lighted make-up mirror on the left side with an arm that is adjustable.

• theanimala
    10 years ago

We did a single sink in our 60" vanity, and since the room was so tight we wanted one large mirror to take up as much space as possible. We had the mirror guy have holes cut in it where the scones would go. We actually did the same thing with our 82" double sink vanity. I love how much extra light it gives as the scone like reflects off the mirror.

• casson003
    7 years ago

Where did you get the mirror?

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Mine is just like that and I got the mirror at a mirror place - we had the electrical for the sconces put in first, and then when the mirror guy measured, he knew exactly where to cut the holes.

• hedygs
    7 years ago

Just finished a bathroom using a 60" double sink vanity. I really wanted to use three sconces but the electrician said there wasn't enough room and there was also a stud which made it impossible anyway. Ended up floating two thinner mirrors over the sinks and using two LED lights over the mirrors. We absolutely love it! I think the three sconces would have been two much so I'm glad it didn't work out.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Hedgys, do you have a picture?

• hedygs
    7 years ago

I have some on my phone. I'll try to post them.

• hedygs
    7 years ago

I apologize for the size of the photo but hope it helps.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Thanks, you got it, lol! It is lovely. Clicking on the pic opens it up nicely to see the whole wall and a view of the nice sconces over the mirrors.

• hedygs
    7 years ago

Phew! Thank you! They have to be on a dimmer because it is too bright.

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

hedygs, my vanity area looks almost exactly like yours, except we did one large mirror and the scones are mounted through the mirror. Are your's Kovacs light fixtures?

• hedygs
    7 years ago

Yes they are!! I love this Reno so much! A few minor things I would change but not enough to take the shine off.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Hockey and Hedygs, what color are your walls. They both look like a blue variation. Hockey, I love the white ceiling with your wall color. Hedygs, that is so good to hear that you love your space. After all that goes into a bathroom redo, it pays back day after day with the pleasure you get while using it :)

• hedygs
    7 years ago

We used a Sherwin Williams color in gray called Passive. Leans a little green more then blue.

Had to throw in my tub as well. :) The decorative tile led a little green actually. Darn my pictures are horrid. :)

• enduring
    7 years ago

Your pictures are fine :) I have a paint in my bathroom called Horizon by BM and it is a blue/green white. I love it. Kind of like yours. My layout is like yours too, except my room is probably longer and the shower is across from the vanity and my laundry center is across from my toilet. I have a sliding door where your towels hang and another one where you are standing to take the picture. I laughingly call my bathroom the bathroom hallway, not the hallway bathroom. With 2 doors it creates a link between 2 areas of the house. It has been that way for decades and when I remodeled I kept it that way. The kids used to run around the house in circles through the bathroom and the rest of the house, because it creates a circular path through the living room, den, hall, bathroom, bedroom, back to the living room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

enduring, yes, the wall color is a silvery-blue, it's BM, but I'm not sure of the color because my painter had it made. If you need it I can check the can of leftover paint when I get home next week.

• enduring
    7 years ago

No hockey I don't need it. I was just admiring the color. Very pretty :)

• Tracy Fritzler
    7 years ago

I too am trying to decide on how to space lights and mirrors. One bath will have a 96" vanity. I'd like two mirrors and I've chosen the light bar to go above the mirrors. It comes in a 3 light @ 28" or a 4 light @ 38". I thought the 38" but now that I'm reading about measuring, etc I'm thinking that the 28" will be the way to go. For the 84" I'd like to use the two mirrors and three sconces. Trying to figure out how large the mirrors should be and how much space between mirrors/sconces and wall as it will sit in an alcove. I'd like to figure this out before I choose sconces.

• Lisa Comeau Houle
    6 years ago

Oh gosh, I am in the middle of trying to plan the same thing. The vanity is in place, I am waiting for the sinks and granite. My vanity is 60 in and 2 bowls as well, I actually had them come in one more Inch on either side with the bowls as my vanity it is against a side wall at one end, and I want to put up three sconces, one on either side and one between two rectangular mirrors. I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to have the sconces placed, the electrician is asking me and I would rather wait till the granite is on and try to plan it all out evenly and figure out what size mirrors to order. Does this make sense or can I figure it out now? The sconces back plate are 5 and 1/2 in wide.... But I want to be sure that my mirrors are centered over my sinks, correct? Am I not going to evenly be able to place the sconces on the wall? I am so confused...!!

• enduring
    6 years ago

get out your graph paper and draw up your elevation. you will see what can be done and what cant be done.

• Tracy Fritzler
    6 years ago

I ordered the lights that I wanted and am waiting to have vanity placed and lights put up - then I'll decide on mirrors...our journey building is almost to an end...Thank GOD :)

• mayflowers
    6 years ago

Good advice from enduring. Over the years I've been reading the baths forum, I'm often dismayed by the number of people who have forgotten how to use graph paper. That's all you need to figure out vanity, mirror, and lighting placement.

• Lisa Comeau Houle
    6 years ago

Tracy, I think that's what I am going to do, I have to look up the specs on the rectangular sinks. I am concerned that if I center the mirror over the sink, and the scones are right about one inch away from sides of mirror, that the center sconce is going to be dead center, and it won't be spaced evenly between the mirrors, like the picture at the top of this thread..... Do you all think that will be ok??

• Lisa Comeau Houle
    6 years ago

Yes, like the graph paper idea, I shall try that as well. Thank you for your input people.

• mayflowers
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If there's enough room between mirrors, a double sconce that matches the two single sconces can fill that wall space. I'd want a couple of inches between the single sconces and the mirrors.

Coastal Casual · More Info

• Lisa Comeau Houle
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

i don't think they come in doubles, I am having no luck trying to paste the picture, it is similar to the dark vanity's sconces above, they are long and tubular. I will have to graph it out. Actually I think I will have to wait, because I have no idea where the bowls of the sink lie on this granite top. Ok, think I have solved my dilemma, I really need to wait for the granite top, not knowing the sink placement, and having one wall abutting the vanity. Then I shall attack it with graph paper.

• rockyjo99
    3 years ago

What size are your mirrors and what is the width of your lights suger4630 ?

my vanity is same width and I am struggling with dimensions of mirrors and lights. I bought 24 x 36 mirrors, but worried that will be too crowded...?

• suger4630
    3 years ago

Our mirrors are 27" x 33". There is less than 2" between the two. The lights are about 16" wide. I hope that helps!

• rockyjo99
    3 years ago

Yes, that is very helpful. Thanks!

• Lisa Comeau Houle
    3 years ago

sorry I can't help you anymore, I have sold the house and moved!

• Lisa Comeau Houle
    3 years ago

Found this picture, this is what we ended up doing, can't tell you the size of the mirrors, we had them custom made if I remember right, the lights are from Home depot, hope this helps.

• Mary
    3 years ago

Chelsercat, I know this post is so old. Just wondering if you are able to tell me the width of your mirrors and your sconces? We are in the middle of this right now and your picture gives me hope that a 60" vanity with sconces CAN be done!!

• PRO
    The Haute Home
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So this is a mockup of a bathroom we are currently doing for a client with a 60-inch double vanity, two mirrors (18" wide), and three sconces (one double sconce in the middle and two single sconces flanking the sides). The mirrors and sconces do not necessarily need to be contained within the 60-inch parameter of the vanity.