Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ditra under 1 inch hex tiles?

Posted by rosylady (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 2:40

Perhaps I should ask this question on the flooring forum. I'm not sure. Bare with me...

We were planning to do a Kerdi shower and use Ditra under the tile floors in the rest of the bathroom. Now I'm reading online that Schluter doesn't recommend Ditra for a tile under 2". We want to install 1" hex mosaic tiles on the floors.

Has anyone used Ditra under this type of tile? I know Bill Vincent has done lots of work with this tile? Anyone know what he uses for waterproofing/isolation membrane?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ditra under 1 inch hex tiles?

Forgot to add: subfloor is plywood, since we were planning on using Ditra...

o
RE: Ditra under 1 inch hex tiles?

The issue at hand (or under foot) if that of properly supporting the tile.

If you look at a cross-section of Ditra, it's a waffle-type of structure. Once the tile is installed, the dovetailed depressions in the top side of the Dirta will be fully filled with thinset. But the voids underneath, those that are under what I call the raised ribs, they will be empty. They will be filled with "air".

Theoretically. And I'll write, again...theoretically...you want the tiles to be large enough to span any air-filled rib structures so that each end of the tile, or at least a good portion of each tile, is properly supported by the thinset-filled dovetailed depressions. That's why Schluter has the restriction for a minimum tile size that can go over Ditra.

Worst case: Someone with stiletto heels is standing on your 1" mosaic-over-Ditra floor. The high heel could place a point load on a tile that is supported on one edge by a thinset filled depression, with the other edge of the tile being over an air-filled rib. If the heel is over the air-filled rib edge of the tile, the tile could collapse the air-filled rib and pop down into the Ditra.

It's more of a liability in a downstairs public room where these types of point loads might be realized.

In a master bathroom? If you go barefoot or walk around in socks, no. If you wear stilettos while showering or brushing your teeth...maybe.

So it's a worst-case scenario.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here