Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help figuring out size of mirror and lights

Posted by rebecca3142 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 1:13

I am remodeling a master bath and the kid's bath. For the master bath the vanity will be 6'9" and the kid's vanity will be 6'6". Both bathrooms will have double sinks. I am going to do a medicine cabinet and a light above each sink. I am trying to figure out the proper size (width) for the medicine cabinets and lights. And, would it look better for the lights to have 2 or 3 bulbs for that size of vanity?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help figuring out size of mirror and lights

Do sconces to either side rather than a light above. It provides better lighting. Medicine cabinets come in basic sizes, and in each line there is a certain size that you get to before the door starts being split in two. That's the size you want. In some lines, it's 18". In some, it's 24". Research your cabinet lines to figure out what it is in that line.

o

Thank you hollysprings. My husband likes a more traditional look with the light above the mirror. Trust me, I showed him about 50 different pictures on Houzz to make sure I couldn't find a sconce configuration that he likes - and I wasn't successful. :)

o

Traditional lighting for bathrooms in my experience has always been to the side of the mirror. I grew up in a house that had side lighting from the 40's or so. Now in the old house I married into we had side lighting from the same era. We lived with it for over 20 years and just recently remodeled. I continued to go with side lights because of the better visibility. I use the mirror to put on makeup and my husband uses it to shave. We need the side lighting for visibility.

Lighting should be about function first, then form :) JMHO.

o

Tell him that when he is the one putting on makeup at the bathe mirror, then he gets to choose the lighting. Then move on to talking about the type of window treatments for the garage or some other feminine intrusion into one of what he thinks of as his space.

o

LOL, exactly Hollysprings, great advise!

Rebecca, let us know how DH responds to this line of reasoning :) Leave it to GW'rs to come up with the perfect strategy.

o

Ok, I didn't even have to pull the makeup strategy! We went through pictures on Houzz again, and he came around. Yahoo! :)

o

Good news :) Did he just wear down?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here