Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimnyo_gw

finished bathroom

jimnyo
12 years ago

sorry, our bathroom was very small and very hard to take pictures. we ran into a couple glitches, mainly that the chair rail couldn't be raised b/c the mirror would be too high, so they lowered it and then found out that it ran through the path of the shower trim, so we had to carve away some of the chair rail...sigh. so, not perfect, but just glad it's done. the tile people were not fantastic, i think, but here are the pix:

Comments (12)

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Very nice...your shower is really pretty, as is the vanity. I don't know if I'd have noticed the trim glitch if you hadn't mentioned it, but I'm going to suggest keeping a piece of that rail, just in case you ever have to switch out the shower trim in the future and it fits differently.

Thanks for posting your pics.

• salem1772
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your lovely bathroom with us! I, too, have a small bathroom, and your experiences are very helpful as we are preparing to pull the trigger on our renovation soon. Please, share:

1. dimension of room
    2. dimension of shower
    3. length and depth of vanity
    4. name and size of tile
    5. purpose of lower shower niche
    6. countertop material
    7. do you have a toilet?! ; )

Thanks in advance. Again congratulations. I am envious!

• aries61
    12 years ago

What tile did you use for your floor?

• Linda
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the look! What kind of vanity?

• jimnyo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here's a detailed drawing of the room that shows dimensions; hope that helps lizb. however, i am so sorry but i don't know the names of everything. the floor tile is: Augusta Marfil 18x18' and subway travertine 1'x2' as border is durango travertine and 1'x12' pencil and 2'x12' chair rail was nameless. the top wall tile was 9'x 9' b/c they ended up running out of the original tile we ordered and they just cut the 18 x 18 into fourths.

the cabinet was custom, which was my biggest find of the whole room, b/c the guy is an artist and quoted me less than home depot's ugly semi-custom units and i didn't have to deal with the completely unhelpful and rude cabinet guy there. it's my favorite part of the whole room.

countertop is granite called autumn gold or something with gold in the name i think. the toilet is behind the door to the right in the picture and nothing fancy, but it is a toto, which i am a faithful fan of. like i said it is a teeny tiny bathroom, so it's hard to take pics of.

the lower niche was supposed to be horizontally slimmer...it's a toe rest for me to use when shaving my legs. we used to have seat in that shower space and my husband hates them and so the compromise was that niche since i never used the seat to sit on, just to rest my foot on. but the tilers (as i said before, i wasn't thrilled w/them or the inability to follow basic directions) made it way taller than it should be.

i have to say, we didn't have the money to get a contractor, so i had to do that, which wasn't my first choice, but i couldn't have done it w/o all the amazing people on this forum, so thank you for helping us get through it and for getting us a bathroom that we love! and we even came in under budget!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• salem1772
    12 years ago

thanks for the details, jimnyo!

• kelvar
    12 years ago

Very nice! Congratulations!! I love your rectangular sinks and the cabinetry. Is that a pull-out hamper all the way to the right on the cabinets? Also, dumb question...on your shower bar and rainshower head, is it only one control that turns both on? Can you have one on and not the other? I thought you had to have two controls if there are two shower heads.

• barbarajon
    12 years ago

Wow! Your shower is quite pretty, & so is vanity. I liked your bathroom. Mine is quite similar to yours but I have very small vanity. Thanks for sharing the measurements. It helped me as well.

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago

That is so pretty and I also would not have noticed the chair rail vs shower trim kit if you hadn't mentioned it. I actually had to scroll up to find the picture that showed it (missed it the first time).

Good job on the custom vanity! I contacted a local person about possibly making a custom version of a Strasser cabinet (needed to be 1/2" shallower) and the price came back as 2x the price of the Strasser (which wasn't cheap to begin with).

And then we changed the whole plan for our bathroom remodel :)

-Pam

• jimnyo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi sleevepresto, yes that is a pullout hamper, and i love it. it's not a dumb question about the shower trim. i'm not sure they make them anymore, but for a long time hansgrohe had the thermobalance i, ii, and iii shower trim kits and valves. they have since moved to the multiple handles that everyone's doing, but i hate the cluttered look. i got a thermobalance iii (you can search for it here on this forum, that's where i found out about them) and had it plumbed for overhead, handheld and overhead/handheld simultaneously. this forum is a goldmine and i couldn't have done it w/o them. thanks everyone for the compliments!

p.s. another thing i would've done differently is HANG THE LIGHTS FACING DOWN. i have since discovered that by hanging them facing up, i get major under eye shadows that make me look haggard and make makeup application a nightmare. this is counterintuitive to me b/c i thought the light diffusion on the ceiling would help spread the light out, but no, i am terribly wrong.

• jillalamedat
    12 years ago

That shaving niche is brilliant! Is that your original idea? It does such a good job of meeting a need while conserving space (I am intimately familiar with the need to use space wisely in a smaller bathroom).

I'm still not sure what the chair rail problem is. It all looks great to me!

Thanks for the tip on lighting. I would have thought the same thing you did.