Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Shower where glass doesn't get wet?

jjaazzy
9 years ago

How big a space do you think you need where the glass enclosure won't get wet?

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Why?

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My cousin is redoing a bathroom and has the space for very large shower, doesn't want to clean shower glass. As do the rest of us, but as you age it's not a matter of if you want to or not but is it possible. My question then is how big does it have to be to miss the splash? The option of no enclosure at all is not appealing she lives in an area that gets pretty cold.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Even if the shower is large enough that the glass doesn't get directly splashed during use, steam/condensation build-up will still happen and she'll still end up having to clean the glass. My advice would be to have her abandon this impossible quest and instead choose a glass with a protective "coating", like Showerguard, that will make cleaning easier.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

It also depends on the shower head you use, placement of the shower head, your showering techniques, etc.

• JimF1117
    9 years ago

I get it. In some areas, the heavy mineral concentration in water makes old shower glass so hard to clean that you feel like you want to scrape the mineral deposits off with a razor blade. Condensation does not create the same problems because the minerals do not evaporate (hence they stay on the glass). I am curious how well the new "protective coatings" work with this problem. Also, would a system water filter be a mitigating solution?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

A rainwater collection /filtration system would be ideal for this person's shower. No dissolved minerals in rainwater. You'd just need a functioning set of gutters, adequate rainfall and a storage tank/filter/pump. I think it's possible to achieve the same purity level with a reverse-osmosis filtration system.
    Casey

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input. In my shower, the wall that mostly gets steam stays clean up top, so the steam is not an issue. She does have well water and I don't know what the damage is on glass from that. But overall cleaning is trying to be reduced. The rain water deal sounds interesting, but probably pretty costly, I know she's not up to that, I think I looked into the coatings on my shower and they were quite expensive. They don't want to invest a lot in the house that they are in. Long story short they are waiting for the property to be declared commercial, so not looking to wow the next buyer but they need new might as well be nice shower for the time that they are there.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

In a cold house, a huge shower is going to be cold, whether or not it has a door.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Consider just having glass on the top half. It's the bottom half that gets hit more with water. And the top can be cleaned without bending over or squatting or kneeling, which are presumably the positions your cousin wants to avoid.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I never have to clean my shower...glass, walls, floor or chrome fixtures. I use a daily shower cleaner "Clean Shower" which prevents build-up from hard water and soap scum. I've used this stuff in showers for over a decade. My "new" shower is 1.5 years old and I only plan to scrub the grout in the floor just before I re-apply sealer in 3 years. I have porcelain tile, regular type grout, and patterned glass.

This product leaves a slight film on the surface that washes away with water the next time you shower. You can see it on clear glass but not on patterned glass. So if you want crystal clear glass you need to squeegee it, but you can still spray it on your tile and floor. (not natural stone).

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is how it works

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, all good points. Still looking for a size tho, no big shower folks on the site right now I guess. Time to get the hose out and do some experiments.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I would guess that if you are standing at least 5 ft from the glass you shouldn't get any water on the glass. I know 3 ft is not enough.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

If you wipe dry the glass/tile after use, you will eliminate the cleaning for the most part. Still have the floor to worry about. You could squeegee first.