Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Need suggestions for this awkward corner space.

I could really use some out of the box inspiration. This is in my master bath. Never mind that I have lived here for 28 years! I have never found a good use for this awkward space. It is set a few inches below the bathroom counter, so there is no natural flow with the counter. It being lower down lends itself to being a catch all for my clutter, and I really want to be better about that.

Tearing it out and doing something completely different is not an option. There is plumbing and ductwork under there.

It is pretty much square, being about 30 inches each way. The depth means you have to lean if to reach the back.

One thing that has always complicated its use is that there is a heat register right smack dab in the middle of it. I don't know what the builder was thinking with that brainstorm. I do not need heat there, and have it closed off with cardboard inside and normally have a book on top to further seal it off. But anything I put on top will get warm or hot, unless I have it elevated somewhat to let the heat dissipate.

To the right is a bathtub, which barely shows in the photo. I don't use the tub. The wall cabinet to the left I am keeping. The wire shelf below it I can get rid of, I kept it in the photo to show how I am presently using the space, though I removed 95 % of my clutter of seldom used toiletries.

What could I use there? I suppose I could use some kind of storage cabinet, though in truth, I should really sort through and pitch most of the stuff I have piled up in a linen closet. Most storage is too deep to see what you have and this space is... even more deep! I cannot even think of a cabinet that would fit this deep space anyway. If shallower and set at the back, I would have to reach too far back to get into it. If set at the front, what would fall behind? I like plants: is there anyway of arranging plants to look nice here, other than the way I have been doing it, which is to set a few at the edge with their leaves draping over the edge?

Thanks for your help: I really need fresh ideas!

Comments (9)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Let me make sure I understand. You say the "box" has to stay because there is plumbing and duct work inside. Yet you also say you don't need the heat duct, and you don't use the tub. It sounds to me like the duct work and plumbing could be eliminated. Along with the tub.

It would help to see the rest of the floor plan, but I would think about putting some shelving there - deep enough for towels or baskets for storage, and then you would have about half of the ledge space as counter.

Have you searched Houzz for bathroom pictures? You might also get some inspiration there.

BTW, I agree with "what was the builder thinking". LOL.

• emma
    9 years ago

I would stop thinking of "useful" and think something you like....you like plants. I like silk plants and I like ferns in the bathrooms and there are some out there that looks really nice for silk. I would set it right in the corner, maybe with a book with a fancy book mark or a vase or a combination of both. My problem would be picking a fern the size to get.

One of my favorite things to do is look at the decor in furniture stores. I get a lot of ideas in there.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think most things you might do would just call attention to the awkwardness. I like the idea of plants and while I don't love silk/fake plants, what I did in my own house is mix them with real plants for a fuller, more lush display.

I'd move that metal shelf and the medicine cabinet, center the art on the wall and fill the shelf with plants. I'd get some large real or fake ferns for the back and fill it in with your real ones, maybe a blooming orchid or two.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IâÂÂd say it has to stay because I am not ready to tackle renovating that room. Down the road, maybe. But compared to other things, it is not a huge priority, not enough to deal with the headache of the pipes and ductwork.

Numbersjunkie, or others, like what kind of shelving? Baskets could corral some of my stuff like bottles. I am having trouble visualizing what would look nice.

Once I come up with a design I am thinking of including a really dramatic vase (I already own a lot), or a terrarium. A friend gave me a fern case, like a mini greenhouse for ferns. IâÂÂd have to build some kind of stand for it, or incorporate it in some way.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I would like to see all the med/vitamin bottles go into some kind of storage, maybe a box on top of the wall cabinet or something. The little shelf can go. Take down the picture and replace with a tiered plant stand. I love indoor plants, too, it would be so nice to have a dedicated display for more plants ;-)

It is so easy to let unused/seldom-used toiletries spread out into open space, but I believe that with self-discipline and reminders, you can get into the habit of keeping the area clear and only letting plants hang out there.

Edit -- IDK the dimensions of the space, but I'm certain you could find a stand that will work!

Here is a link that might be useful: tiered stand

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 12:13

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think some sort of tiered corner unit in that spot would be great. But I would get rid of the wall cabinet so that you could get something fairly large. Then I'd get some sea grass baskets to set in front of the corner unit to hold the contents of the wall cabinet :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, maybe something like this corner bookcase I found at PB? The weathered pine is on clearance. It's 29.5" along each wall, so would fill that space perfectly.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Where is your natural light, and how much do you get? I could see a tall plant (tree? palm?) in the background, your Wardian case (fern enclosure) in the center, and some small plants like African Violets in the foreground if the light is right for them.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like these ideas! The medicine cabinet I want to keep. I really do use it and putting its contents - which are really small - in baskets would not work. There is no other open wall to move it to.

I do have good - though mostly indirect - light for plants in this room. I took this photo at night, but if you look at the mirror on the left, you can see a reflection of the window, which is in a 1 foot deep box bay. There is also a skylight which is about 6 feet away. This room also has a tall ceiling, so even raised up on this boxy thing, I have room for a tree. Funny how I have never thought of that. It is winter here now, so I will probably have to wait on buying one, but I could start looking now for the tiered shelf. That stair one is really nice, and an interesting form for this square shape.