Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you judge tile quality?

Posted by kudzu9 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 0:43

I recently went looking at Home Depot and Lowe's for tile for a small bath room (about 5'X6') and saw a wide range of tile prices. I was mainly shopping for a simple look, and price wasn't a concern given how small the space is. I've located the colors and sizes I wanted. The shower floor would be 2"X2" porcelain tiles (at $8/sqft) and the shower walls and the floor outside the shower would be 12"X12" porcelain tiles (at $1/sqft). The 2"X2" tiles are Italian, and the large tiles are Chinese. I love the look of both tiles, but I was surprised at the low price of the Chinese tiles. Is there any reason to be concerned about quality with an inexpensive porcelain tile, especially for a light-duty guest bath?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you judge tile quality?

Some tiles are not rated for the floor, because of the resistance to abrasion, slippy-ness factor, and maybe other reasons like strength of clay body and thickness. Also some floors are not stiff enough for tile. There is an equation for that.

Here is a page from The Tile Counsel of North America:
http://www.tcnatile.com/resources/published-articles.html

there may be some articles to help. Other wise a link below to Houzz has some helpful information on tiles.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I think these sites are helpful in general.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz article on tile characteristics

o

"I was surprised at the low price of the Chinese tiles."

Don't be surprised. You get what you pay for. Steer clear of Chinese.

o

You could also buy a couple and put them through the motions.

The thing about porcelain tile is that it is pretty easy to find high quality colorbody (same all the way through), porcelain tiles made in America, Mexico, or Italy at very reasonable prices. I would really try to find something made where you know the quality will be more predictable.

Price doesn't necessarily indicate quality level though. I looked at two white tiles, same company, both made in America, and one tile was about $2 sq foot, the other was $17-18, and the local rep really had no idea why this would be so, other than, perhaps, volume.

o

Some of the Chinese tile is crap....some of it is pretty decent. Lay two tiles face-to-face and see if they "rotate." In other words, you're looking at "cupping." If they're flat and decent, by all means go for it.

Another test is to "rack" up about ten of them on an edge and look for variations in sizing. Any variations require that you multiply the variations by three for a decent grout spacing.

If the "variation" is 1/8" you'll need about 3/8" as a grout line....

o

Stonetech-
Thanks for those thoughts. The ones I am interested in are dead flat (no cupping) 12X12's, and they seem to be identical in size. I've since found out that the water absorption rating for the tile is "impervious" and the PEI wear rating is III, suitable for residential. So I think I'm feeling comfortable with these for a low use, guest bathroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here