Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silicontraption

Caesarstone (quartz) for shower surround?

contraption
15 years ago

Has anyone seen or used Caesarstone (or Zodiac, or any other quartz solid surface material) for a shower surround?

If so, I'm wondering:

- what was the wall substrate?

- what did you do to waterproof the seams and pan?

- who did you get to fabricate/install it?

- any budgetary estimates (like $/sqft)?

- how did it come out and would you do it again?

My wife and I doing a major "warm modern" rebuild and are considering the "Apple Martini" (green) Caesarstone for a double shower surround.

Thanks!

Bruce

Comments (8)

• advertguy2
    15 years ago

The final season of Holmes on Homes did one. I believe the episode was called "Blind Faith". The normal countertop guy seemed to be the guy that did it. I believe it was installed over Kerdi. See if you can find the episode online or on TV.

Dan

• gary1227
    15 years ago

We've installed Caesarstone "pebble" as an accent in our new shower surround. The bulk of the shower is a "marble look" glazed ceramic tile with Carrara marble trim and the grey stone along the top of the shower surround is the Caesarstone. The cost per square foot was the same as if fabricating for a counter top. I believe we paid about $75sqft installed for those pieces. Quite expensive to do an entire shower but nice to use as an accent, shower seat or shelf.

• tom999
    15 years ago

Check around, many quartz mfg offer their products in a 1cm (actually 1.2cm) specifically for shower surrounds. We have done 100's of them. Also you can find engineered marble products which also work well in shower/tub applications.

• contraption
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all, sounds like this has been done before with good success. Our general contractor is concerned about the waterproofing part - specifically, who will provide the warranty for it - the quartz installer or someone else who hot mops or otherwise installs the underlying water barrier.

Maybe I can find an installer that can do the whole thing...

Thx!

• leszek_bell_blackberry_net
    13 years ago

Dixie Marble @ Granite Inc. fabricates one-piece shower pans with a new technology that allows to slope any type of quartz product to a drain hole.
    The new product is designed to work with schluter waterproof system.
    THe company also provides installation service.

• dixiemarble_bellnet_ca
    13 years ago

Dixie Marble & Granite Inc.
    1300 A Eglinton Ave East
    Mississauga, Ontario
    L4W 1K8
    Tel: 905-238-5893
    Fax:905-239-5948
    web: dixiemarble.com
    e-mail: dixiemarble@bellnet.ca

• bhill1013
    11 years ago

Basically for waterproofing for the shower surround your contractor needs to have the shower pan hot mopped, install 2 layers of 15lbs rolled felt, scratch and brown the walls, let dry for 3-4 days and then apply a liquid moisture barrier membrane (LATICRETE - HYDROBAN) over the floated walls and floor. Install the quartz panels and use a color matching silicone for the seams.

• bhill1013
    11 years ago

Basically for waterproofing for the shower surround your contractor needs to have the shower pan hot mopped, install 2 layers of 15lbs rolled felt, scratch and brown the walls, let dry for 3-4 days and then apply a liquid moisture barrier membrane (LATICRETE - HYDROBAN) over the floated walls and floor. Install the quartz panels and use a color matching silicone for the seams.