Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fst96se_gw

Master Bath Remodel...Floorplan help!

fst96se
9 years ago

Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of a master bath remodel. I currently have a tiny fiberglass shower, toilet out in the open, corner jetted tub, and single sink vanity.

In the floorplan pictured below, I remedy all of those situations! :)

My only real compromise is that in order to fit that double vanity in that spot, I will be moving two feet into my closet.

Do you guys have any suggestions based on what you see in the plan? The window on the plan is my existing window. Not an ideal spot, for sure.

Does the shower look large enough? Would like to do two shower heads...

Give me your thoughts!

Comments (6)

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

The shower is definitely not large enough for two shower heads if you are planning on having two people using the shower at the same time! Try taping out the area on the floor. Will your shower heads be one hand held and one rain? That might be doable. What's the purpose of the pony wall...at least I assume it's a pony wall? It looks cramped to me. Why not just ditch the wall, make the shower larger and use a frameless glass door?

Do you use a tub or are you including it for resale? If you don't use it, get rid of it. It's an expensive use of valuable space. You could then move your lavs back into the room without encroaching into your closet.

Just my $.02....

• fst96se
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I may need to do the door on an angle at the 45... Will make for a much larger shower.

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

The shower is definitely not large enough for two shower heads if you are planning on having two people using the shower at the same time! Try taping out the area on the floor. Will your shower heads be one hand held and one rain? That might be doable. What's the purpose of the pony wall...at least I assume it's a pony wall? It looks cramped to me. Why not just ditch the wall, make the shower larger and use a frameless glass door?

Do you use a tub or are you including it for resale? If you don't use it, get rid of it. It's an expensive use of valuable space. You could then move your lavs back into the room without encroaching into your closet.

Just my $.02....

• fst96se
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All right, here is where I'm at now.

I've abandoned the idea of taking room from my closet. I really like the space in there, and I think we've found a layout that will work within the existing room, while minimizing plumbing changes where possible.

In the pic below, the vanity will stay here it currently resides, but we will add a second sink.

The toilet remains NEAR it's current location, but actually gets enclosed... It is a short room, but meets code for 21" in front of the toilet. An enclosed toilet is a MUST HAVE.

Currently, we have a large corner tub and small fiberglass shower. They are reversed in position from what you see on the plan below. In this plan we get a much larger tiled-in shower, with a glass door. I am hoping for two shower heads, and room for two people showering at the same time.

The differences in the floor plans shown below are the size of the tub. You can see one uses a 5'6" tub, one a 5' tub. I lean towards the larger tub, but in doing so we lose width on the shower.

The shower gets used daily, the tub a couple times a week for the kids, maybe once a month for a grown up.

Thoughts?

• fst96se
    9 years ago

I'd also like recomendations on where to place shower heads, etc. I've never really considered a handheld, but don't have anything against it.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I'd go with the smaller tub and the larger shower. 3' is pretty narrow, so the extra 6" will make a big difference. Plus you use the shower more than the tub, so the space will be more utilized there.

As for the shower heads, the two options are both on the left wall or one each on the top and bottom walls, facing each other. Tape off the floor and mimic dual showering to see which one works best for you. You'll likely bump into each other a bit with either option. And both on the left wall will result in shower spray on the door.