Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisywi

Bad Tile Job?? Need advice ASAP.

DaisyWI
10 years ago

We had a tub surround tiled today and we are not happy with it. The tiles are up and thinset but not grouted. We aren't sure what to do but before we fire the guy and try to remedy this, I want to see if the job is as bad as we think. I do not have pics.

First, he said it was OK to leave drywall at the very top couple feet of the wall. The rest has backer board. We wanted backer board all the way to the ceiling but he had already jointed it and insisted it was totally okay, so we went with that even though we were not pleased. How big of an issue is this?

We have 10"x20" ceramic tiles and 2 strips of glass tile border (mesh backed).

The grout lines are inconsistent. The spacers won't fit in some spaces and fall out of others. There's an unusually wide grout line in the very middle of the tub wall at eye level.

He did 4" strips of glass tile instead of the 6" he was supposed to do!!

When you run your hand over the glass tile, it's totally wavy and not at all flat. He said he had to build it out with thinset, but he also said it would be flush. It's very uneven when you touch it; visibly uneven in some spots.

There seems to be little to no grout space left in much of the glass tile strip. It's supposed to be 4" tall (really, supposed to be 6, but he cut it to 4") and it's really only about 3 and 5/8 tall on the wall. The glass tiles are right up against the larger border tiles and also right against each other in places. This does not seem right to me.

How bad does this sound to you?

Do you think it's possible to get the tiles off or would we have to buy all new tile? I have never DIY tiled anything so I have no clue. Thank you.

Comments (3)