Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished!! A Bath and a Half on a Budget

Posted by gsciencechick (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 22:59

Hello, everyone! Happy TG! I am more of a lurker than a poster. Thanks to all your help we were able to complete our remodel of our 1960's ranch bathrooms. It's hard to take pictures because these baths are small: 37 and 21 sqaure feet. Total cost was about $5,000. We also had the shower fixtures changed out, light fixtures changed, and GFI outlets put in since there were no electrical outlets. Yes, it would be nice to put at least a shower in the master, it just wasn't possible, but maybe in the future. It's also important not to "overimprove" for our neighborhood.

Disclaimer: DH bought this house around the time he met me, so I personally might not have picked something that needed so many upgrades when neither of us are particularly handy. However, I have made the most of it. We did all the painting, the tin ceiling, mosaic backspash, towel bars, and switchplates. We needed help to do the plumbing, electrical, and floor.

We used the existing floor and shower tiles in the main bath (previous owner DIY, so not perfect job like we're used to here). The tub was reglazed and is holding up well. We did change out the plumbing fixtures in the shower to Price Pfister white porcelain vintage. We did the sandstone texture finish on the walls because they were rough and had about 6 coats of paint and wallpaper on it. There was no way to remove it all, and we were not taking the walls down at this point. So, faux it was. It was a HUGE mess to apply, and I would not do it again, especially in a bath.

Main/Hall Bath:
Kohler Memoirs toilet with Stately Tank
Estate Vanity with MarCraft cultured marble top (there was a different top that came with it)
Estate matching mirror
Paint: Valspar Sandstone texture finish in aqua (huge pain to apply!) with two coats Valspar Clear Protector
Ceiling: American Tin Ceilings Snaplock #20 in bright white satin, #C9 crown molding in bright white satin
Towels and shower curtain: JCPenney
Light fixture: Lowe's, I cannot remember the brand, perhaps Portofino
Towel bars: Gatco Franciscan
Shower head: Shower massage
Switch plates and baseboard molding: Lowe's
Tub reglaze: Miracle Method

Half/Master Bath
Kohler Memoirs toilet with Stately Tank
The Euro vanity/sink was from Home Depot, but I cannot remember the name
Sink faucet: Moen ORB, Lowe's
Medicine cabinet: Zenith, Lowe's
Paint: Valspar Timber Dust in Satin finish with white semi-gloss trim
Ceiling: Valspar ceiling paint
Towels and towl bars: JCPenney Evergreen Collection (the TP holder was D/C before I could complete my set!)
Toilet tissue holder: Pottery Barn
ORB Light fixture: Lowe's, Portofino
Switch plates: iron oxide from Restoration Hardware
Ceramic floor tile and backspash: Venetian Stone, Lowe's

mostly original main
a href="http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n321/gsciencechick/Bathroom remodels/?action=viewt=Oldwroughtironfixtures.jpg" target="_blank">old wrought iron fixtures

view from hall2

curved shower rod

original plumbing

original sink and medicine cabinet

what a difference!

mosaic backsplash

Here is a link that might be useful: PB album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished!! A Bath and a Half on a Budget

Nicely done! Very clean finish- my favorite look for a bathroom;-) I like the little touches (robe hook, backsplash). Having lived in Brooklyn, I love tin ceilings!! I assume they are faux tin being in the bathroom.

Congrats

o

They are powdercoated tin. American Tin repeatedly reassured me they would work in the bathroom. If you look on their website, you will see other bathrooms. These have actually been up about a year and half and look as good as new with no problems.

I finally took photos last weekend. We were about 95% done for a long time. We had to caulk the corners on the crown molding and put up the curved shower rod. That was a big finishing touch, and I refused to take "finished" pictures until the whole thing was really finished.

o

How's the Valspar Sandstone paint holding up in the bathroom?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here