Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for opinions/experience with floor grout

Posted by chicgeek (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 22:50

Hi. I posted this question in the kitchen forum and didn't get alot of response, so I am hoping maybe I can get some help here. We are having tile installed in our kitchen/dining/FR & foyer. There will be alot of foot traffic. The tile is 6x24" wood look plank porcelain tile. The grout will be a brown color. We have 3 cats so we are looking for something that will be durable and stain resistant (b/c of the cats...and spills in the kitchen)

Our contractor is suggesting we use Laticrete Spectralock. One tile dealer suggested urethane grout, but from what I've been told there is a curing time involved when the tile isn't to be exposed to water. I'm concerned since it will be in the kitchen (potential water, spills, etc). Another tile dealer said they don't offer urethane grout, but we could use epoxy grout. But I've been reading online about potential fumes from epoxy grout installation and we have a family member with a chemical fume sensitivity.

What have been your experiences been with your floor grout? What kind do you have and are you happy with it? If you have epoxy or urethane, do you think there is a difference? If you used epoxy grout, where there significant fumes, etc? If you are experienced with tile and grout, is Laticrete enough for our needs?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for opinions/experience with floor grout

Haven't used any of the urethane or epoxy grouts. We had our tile guys use TEC XT grout for two of our bathrooms and for our travertine floor tile in the FR/entry/guest bedroom. It's a cement-based grout, that is supposed to be more crack, stain, mold and mildew resistant than other cement-based grouts. So far it is holding up well (bathrooms are 2-2 1/2 years old, FR....floor is a year old).

Tile guy found it to be "stickier" than regular cement grout (same mixing-up requirement--thick consistency). I think clean-up might have required a little more elbow grease because of that (stickiness). Requires a "dry" clean-up (very well wrung out sponge).

Doesn't require sealing, but can be sealed with a solvent-based sealer. FWIW, We used STT's SB sealer. Very easy to work with, and minimal, minimal odor.

o

I did install spectralock for an owner who was chemically sensitive.

They stayed out of the house the first night. Had no issues when she returned the next day.

I don't have any way to gauge how much is too much, but I can tell you that I use a fair amount of epoxy (West Systems), which I purchase by the gallon, in some of my projects. If it's worth anything to you, I wear a respirator when using West Systems epoxy. But I don't when using spectralock.

Spectralock does have "that odor" when first mixing it. But it dos seem to dissipate rather quickly.

You could call Laticrete and ask their tech department.
1.800.243.4788 x235 or technicalservices@laticrete.com

o

I used Spectralock and it did not seem to be very smelly. But as Mongo states what is too much. If someone has a true reaction to an allergen that is a medical emergency, period. I love my grout and am very happy I did the Laticrete Spectralock. It is a quality product. I followed the instructions carefully and feel that it is going to meet my needs in my bathroom/mudroom. Good luck.

o

I definitely recommend epoxy grout for high traffic and high pet areas. It scrubs clean instead of absorbing the dirt and discoloring over time.

I used Laticrete Spectralock in several rooms and was happy with it. I'm not sensitive to fumes, but don't remember noticing any particularly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here