Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess7davis_gw

Please help me with a layout for a small master bathroom.

jess7davis
10 years ago

My husband and I currently live in a small house that his grandfather built. We are gutting it to update wiring, plumbing, insulation, etc. and adding on to create our forever home. Resell is not a factor. I am trying to figure out the best way to layout the master bathroom.

I would like a large soaking tub in the master bathroom as I like to soak. We don't care if it is a tub/shower combo or separate. If they are separate, we do not want a small square shower but instead a rectangular standard shower.

We are open to one or two sinks. Counter space would be nice. As you can see, I have played with a lot of different sized fixtures. The door can be moved to any location on the wall.

I found a 72" 3 wall tub enclosure that I wondered if it could be used on 72" skirted tub to allow room for a double vanity or makeup vanity. I will post the picture of it below as I don't know how to upload multiple pictures.

I have been lurking and reading lots and lots of posts to help me make decisions for our remodel. This is my first post.

The bedroom to the left is the fourth and smallest bedroom that is going to be used as an office unless we have a third kid.

This is a large addition/remodel we are doing so we are on a budget. We are okay with surrounds. Tile can always be added down the road.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas. Sorry for the long post!

Comments (4)

• jess7davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Enclosure option?

• jess7davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The original house is the rectangle on the right. We are adding the rectangle open floor plan in the middle and the garage.

• meek95
    10 years ago

I am not a professional designer so take these suggestions with a grain of salt. First of all, I would put the master closet at the end where the bathroom door is now. I wouldn't want to walk through the bedroom to get to the bath. Also, from what I've read on this forum, you shouldn't put plumbing fixtures on outside walls if you live in a cold climate, don't know if you have that issue. Lastly, if this is your forever home you need to think about aging in place. We recently remodeled our master bath to separate the bathtub and shower. The old tub/shower was really difficult and dangerous to step into as it was a large tub with shower door. We are so much happier with the new configuration.

• User
    10 years ago

4'x7' is a waste of space when it comes to a closet. It's not big enough for hanging except on one wall and a bit of the small wall. You'll get better storage in less space with a simple reach in closet with organizers. The bath itself also needs to increase in size if you want a soaker tub and a shower. A soaker tub isn't designed to work with a shower. You need a shallower tub with an integral tile flange to work with a tub/shower situation. A deep soaker tub will be a PIA to step into to use as a shower, and you'll have water infiltration issues if you try to use it as a shower as well. Also, most 4 bedroom houses would want to have 3 bathrooms.

You may want to rethink your wants and needs and the small size of the space you are working with. One needs to reduce, or the other needs to enlarge. Since you say the budget is small, and this will be an expensive project, I'd suggest reducing some of your wants, and eliminating one of the bedrooms to better utilize the existing space split between the others. A 3/2 is a common configuration, and would give you more space to work with for the design.

Remodels like this are costly because of working within the constraints of the old footprint and accessing the major systems. Also, integrating the old and new isn't always successful. It's just easier to do plumbing and electrical and HVAC (all of the expensive stuff) when the walls are completely open and you don't have to fight the old stuff into submission. It's one of the reasons teardowns of older homes in older neighborhoods became popular. It's less money, and you end up with more house that has more modern proportions and amenities.