Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size vanity for 36" wide half bath

Posted by SueVA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 22:44

My half bath is 36" wide with a toilet on one end facing the sink on the other wall (pocket door in between). The original, 1984, vanity was 36" and went from side wall to side wall and the vanity top had 3 or 4" backsplash on all three sides. We're gutting it so I'm trying to decide whether the new vanity should be 36" or be somewhat smaller to look more like standalone furniture, less like a built-in cabinet. If it matters, I'm planning on having some sort of stone top. What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size vanity for 36" wide half bath

I think if you don't go all the way across the 36" it will be wasted space. I think you could still achieve the stand alone look with it going across. It could be open below, or it could have legs, or look like a free standing chest of drawers. But I would want it to go across because the small areas to either side would be another place to clean that may be hard to get to. If the sides are open enough for easier cleaning then you might not have enough counter space. And a gal needs a place to put her purse if she's visiting:) Good luck, it sounds like a fun little project.

o
RE: What size vanity for 36" wide half bath

I would also use the full width, for the reasons enduring stated. You could change the look by leaving out the sidesplashes, or even omit the standard backsplash too. I've seen lovely powder rooms where the one wall above the sink was tiled to the ceiling with decorative tile (like glass mosaic). That could be a great option to give it some style.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here