Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyka_gw

Subway Tile: Who Knew This Was So Complicated?

Lilyka
9 years ago

So, I'm redoing my bathroom, and using white tiles for practically everything. I want white matte subway for the main part of the room, then white glossy subway for the shower, with a white arabesque detail at the top of the shower.

Easy, right? But I'm really looking for a vintage, polished look, so I want a base board molding (preferably something a little more intricate than cove molding, but i'm not holding my breath), and also a nice chair rail or other molded tile to finish at the top.

Then of course there's all the different sorts of bullnose to worry about, and corner finishing pieces for in-corners and out-corners... makes my head spin! I'm trying to stay in the big box store price range for the field tile, maybe $3/sf. I don't need anything handmade or fancy. But maybe the lower-end brands don't do the nice finishing options?

So I guess the real questions are: does anyone know a brand that makes a good, bright white in both gloss and matte, that has nice finishing pieces as well? Do finishing pieces even come in matte, or am i going to have to mix matte and gloss? And will that look weird? Has anyone done that who could post a photo?

Help, advisors! I need your advice!!

This post was edited by Lilyka on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 22:39

Comments (9)

• sloyder
    9 years ago

Daltile Rittenhouse Square, has both gloss and matte finishes, they also have the trim pieces. Artic White is the brighter white.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• Lilyka
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sloyd! Daltile is definitely my go-to if I can't find a brand that offers a base molding I like better, or trim pieces in matte.

This post was edited by Lilyka on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 23:48

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I can't help you with trim in matte, but I have Daltile glossy (or semi-gloss, basically the same thing) Arctic White subways in my new tub/shower surround. I love them and would use the tiles in that color again and again. And they're easy on the budget.

• Lilyka
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, linelle! Daltile definitely has a great reputation, and doubly great for such a low price! I'm glad you're enjoying yours!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Another Daltile Rittenhouse here but I did the biscuit color
    cream). I also have the cove baseboard and the beefier rail pieces for the top of wall tile. The baseboard is rather plain but it works for me because I did not tile all the way up on the walls or tile walls at all in some areas so the base just helps it all mesh with adding a bit of definition.

• Lilyka
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very good to hear, thanks jterrilynn!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I used horus art crackle subway tile for a bath in an older home. I used their baseboard, field tile, listello (?), and a nice top molding on the 4ft wall tile. My bathroom is small and couldn't handle the various style tiles you mentioned. To polish it up a bit, I added pewter decorative inserts in the floor tile and a border embedded within the field tile in tub/shower combo. I think the inserts really dressed up the bath.

• laurensmom2010
    9 years ago

I'm considering white subway tile also. I'd love to see photos of how it combines.

Mags438 do you have a photo of yours?

• User
    9 years ago

I don't have a pic I can post right now, but I did subway tiles on a half-bath wall, combining 3 colors of tile: matte white, glossy white, and an off-white.

My original reasoning for doing that was that I was going to have a toilet from 1 mfg and a sink from another, and the whites in the 2 fixtures didn't match exactly, and so I though that having several shades in the wall tiles would help soften the difference.

In fact, I ended up with toilet and sink from the same mfg, so it didn't matter, but I LOVE the combination of tile colors/finishes on the wall...