Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question for Kohler cast iron shower base owners

Posted by kmcg (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 22:28

Our shower glass supplier said the Kohler Purist base we're using has a threshold with about 1/16" slope inward. He said they like to see 1/8", so have offered an extra metal strip to put on the threshold. It's a slightly elevated half-round piece that just gives the shower door an extra lip to keep water in. I would prefer to do without it, both to avoid visual clutter and to avoid something that would potentially trap gunk. We have a tile floor, so a little water on the floor won't be a big problem. But I thought I should ask: has anyone with a cast iron shower pan had trouble getting a decent seal using a frameless glass shower door? Do I need the extra threshold strip?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question for Kohler cast iron shower base owners

I don't think ours has an extra strip of metal. There's a plastic flange or something at the bottom of the door, that's it.

We don't use that shower daily, it's a guest bathroom shower. We did use it exclusively during the months we worked on our other two bathrooms, and we didn't have any issues with water leaking.

o

Thanks cat mom - I was hoping you would see this. I looked at your photo in another thread, and it looks like you have the standard "sweep" made of silicone or whatever, and that is what I think we will go with. Glad to hear you didn't have water problems!

o

Not any that I'm aware of, at least! Again, the shower gets used one or two weeks out of the year at most, so it's pretty much a non-issue for the most part in our case.

The shower door opens out, so there are the inevitable drips off the door when it's opened after showering, but nothing out of the ordinary. We place a bath mat in front of the shower when it's in use, so it would catch any drips anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here