Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

MTI tubs

3katz4me
14 years ago

Anyone have any experience or opinions on these? I have been looking at the Andrea 4 model - fits my space and some other requirements. I've never been a big fan of acrylic tubs but there are more options that meet my requirements.

Comments (19)

• ktink
    14 years ago

I ordered the soaker version of the MTI Khalo model. Our bathroom remodel is only about halfway done so I haven't had a chance to use it yet (or even sit in it) but it looks great. I picked it because it was the only tub I could find that fit my space, had the drain in the right place, AND had the look I was going for. I could never find much feedback on MTI tubs on the internet. Don't know if that's good or bad. Regardless, it was VERY scary ordering a $1200+ item without seeing it in person.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya, I know what you mean ktink - ordering sight unseen. I did see one today - same model I am looking at only larger and not an alcove model. They look very nice. What is yours like - is it a standalone tub? Mine would be a tub/shower in an alcove.

• ktink
    14 years ago

Mine will be in an alcove but without a shower. It's very simple - maybe even plain - but I like it.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yours looks a lot like the one I'm looking at - only mine is much narrower. Are you having a faucet in the wall or in the tub?

• ktink
    14 years ago

Our faucet (Brizo Quiessence) will be mounted on the tub.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How funny - that is the faucet I kind of settled on yesterday. When are you getting all of this installed? I might have some questions later about the faucet installation, holes in tub, etc.

• ktink
    14 years ago

Your guess is as good as mine! The drywall is pretty much done. Next come the cabinets (still under construction), then the tile. After that is when I think the plumbing fixtures will be installed.

Soooo....throw in the upcoming holidays and chances are you will be done before I am!

If I get my act together (who am I kidding? This is Thanksgiving day) I'll post a picture of how things look so far so you can see if our set up is similar to yours.

• ktink
    14 years ago

Finally getting around to posting some pictures....

Here's the tub (no, it's not level yet). The faucet will be on the left front (where the white ruler is laying).
    {{gwi:1501169}}

Another one of the tub that shows the funky ceiling angle we're working with.
    {{gwi:1501171}}

Standing in the shower (next to the tub) looking at the opposite wall.
    {{gwi:1501172}}

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting - since yours will have the surround built around it it's wide open for the doing the plumbing. That is what I have to figure out since mine will have a panel on the outside. The panel I want is not removable so I have to make sure I have whatever access I need from somewhere else - or get a removable panel. And where I put the faucet also depends on whether I have a shower door or not. Alot of decisions.

Your bathroom looks like it will be very nice. I love the slanted ceiling and the openings up above on the other side. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• ktink
    14 years ago

I agree - a lot of decisions. And one decision always affects something unanticipated.

I would have preferred to put the faucet and the handshower on the far side of the tub with the valve on the front side but that would have meant tearing out shower tile to gain access to the faucet should something ever go wrong with it in the future. So instead, all the plumbing will go on the front side and the front of the tub surround will be a removable wooden panel that will match the cabinets.

As your project moves along, I hope you'll post some pictures. I'd love to see it!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's the dilemma I have too about the faucet placement. I'm thinking I can put it in a back corner if it could be accessed through a "panel" in a closet on the other side of the wall.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

I'm planning on ordering an Andrea 7 soaker tub this week, so I wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any more opinions. I've sat in one and love how deep it is. It is a little hard to get in and out of, so I will be ordering integral grab bars.

Do people find it slippery? I'd prefer to get it without the anti-slip finish.

I am going to get the Virtual Spout, since I've got some weird plumbing issues and this will solve them. Anyone have experience with this?

• colette1487
    13 years ago

I am about to order the Andrea 7. Are you satisfied with yours? What is a "virtual spout" and how is it related to plumbing issues? Where are you getting the grab bars? Does MTI have them?

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

I just ordered my tub today, so I can't give you any feedback except that the empty one is very comfortable, LOL. It is also really pretty.

I decided against the virtual spout because I realized... I often wash my hair under the faucet in the tub before I take a bath, and if the water came in along the side I wouldn't be able to do that anymore. If you look on their website they have a list of all of the options you can order on any of their tubs, with pictures and descriptions.

MTI installs the grab bars but I decided against them too. I wanted the sleek look of the tub without bars protruding into the bathing well. The sides of the tub are straight up and down and I was afraid it would feel weird to have this curved things sticking out on either side.

With my contractor's enthusiastic support, I did order it with a pre-leveled foam base.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

It's here!!! It is only as close as the garage for now, but it is a thing of beauty.

• moscarda_aol_com
    13 years ago

Has anybody used the panels that are available with the Andrea soaker tub? Because my bathroom is small, I can't build out to drop the tub in; therefore, I need panels on one side and one end of the tub. The plumbing supply house tells me they are available in acryllic and wood suitable for painting, but I can't find any pictures of what they'd look like. thanks.

• skatermom
    13 years ago

we are getting the andrea 60 x 30 x 20 with a radiant heater...so excited to have water in the tub that will stay hot!

• anne7
    12 years ago

So, what's the word on MTI tubs? Anyone have air/whirlpool combo? How often do you use each function? Also curious about the cleaning function.