Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roemama

Finished Bathroom - DIY - Pics!

roemama
13 years ago

This is the first room in our house that is completed and wanted to share our results. We used a lot of knowledge from Gardenwebbers, including our Kerdi Shower. Thank you for all the wonderful posts about your bathroom remodels. We did everything ourselves aside from the getting our pipes re-plumbed. First pictures, details at the end:

The before (only picture I could find!):

The After:

Details:

Tile - Just Level Avorio Ceramic

Toilet - Toto Guinevere

Vanity - Local Shop

Vanity Top - Travertine

Mirror & Glass - Local Shop

Shower Fixtures - Hansgrohe Raindance, ibox valve, thermostatic valve trim

Faucet - Hansgrohe Limbo

Paint - BM Aura Coastal Fog

Towel Bar, etc - Restoration Hardware Kent Collection

Comments (26)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Great job! Can't believe it's the same space!

• auzzy
    13 years ago

Nice job! Pretty vanity. That before layout was really awkward, wasn't it?

• Olychick
    13 years ago

So pretty! I really love the look of your curved vanity and countertop. I'm amazed you did it all yourselves.

• User
    13 years ago

That is one amazing transformation. You must be sooooooo proud.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Can you share the dimensions of your shower? And the dimensions of your shower glass door? Thanks!

• roemama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! It feels completely different from the old bathroom. The previous owners hadn't remodeled the house since the 80s, it is great need of an update.

We expanded the bathroom just a few feet and it made all the difference, previously, the sink and shower were on corners, now there is enough space for a good vanity and a good shower.

Pricklypearcactus - the shower is about 3' wide and 5' long. Overall the bathroom is only 10'x5'approx. The shower door was a bit of a debate, we thought we needed to go with a slider because of the configuration and researched frameless sliders but took the gamble and went with a door (so happy we did!). The door is 28" wide, which is plenty space for us.

I also forgot to mention that we 'stole' the outlet in the drawer concept from Gardenweb, it's a fantastic idea and it works great with a blow dryer.

Here's a few more pictures:

Kerdi shower drain:

Shower niche:

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Wow...what a transformation! It looks wonderful. Great job.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Wow, great job! Looks gorgeous. (Kerdi is the way to go)
    Love the large shower..

Plus I always give DIYers double extra credit :)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

That came out lovely! The old vanity toilet combo would have been so annoying to me. I think it went from odd to fabulous ;)

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

So classy - you did a wonderful job. I love the travertine countertop, don't see vary many of those here, but it's gorgeous. Do you have to seal it?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing the dimensions. My master bathroom has a similar layout (except double sink vanity and door where your window is located) and a shower with similar dimensions. Hopefully some day in the near future I will remodel it and I will need to replace my ghastly plastic accordian style shower door. I would like to be able to fit a swinging door like you have and your bathroom gives me hope.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any problems opening the shower door if there are one or two people inside? (I see you have double shower heads, so I am guessing you might have two people in the shower from time to time.) I initially had expected my shower door would have to swing outside, but I see yours swings inward. Thanks!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Wow!! You did a suberb job!

I'm impressed that you not only did Kerdi, but niches etc with your Kerdi!

Love the way you picked up the dark color of the vanity with your accent tile too.

• rosibal
    13 years ago

What an amaZing job!!!! congrats!!! I am about to do something very similar to your design, only my bathroom dimensions are 8 x 5. Quick question-what is the height of the tile on your vanity wall? is it the same on the other wall? i dont see on them, but did you finish the tile line with a thin pencil bullnose or just left it as is?
    Thanks you for sharing this with the forum!

• roemama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks so much! It's so nice to hear, remodeling is new to us so it is great to have encouragement. We have the rest of the house ahead of us still :-) We step into the bathroom when we need hope that the rest of the house will one day be done!

annkathryn - Thank you! Yes, the top needs to be sealed. We decided not to go with natural stone for the tiles because of the maintenance, but loved the top. We are supposed to seal it every 6 months or so, it's actually quite easy and quick to do. I was told that you will know when to seal it again when water stops beading, hopefully I'll remember that!

pricklypearcatcus - Our door swings both ways, we opted to leave the seal off between the door and the fixed panel so it could swing both ways. So far so good with water splashing outside the shower, it's been minimal. We haven't had any problems opening the door when two of us are in there. We added a towel bar to the wall outside of the shower which blocks the swing of the door slightly. But since we lost a towel train because it didn't fit above the toilet, we needed someplace to put a towel bar. It doesn't seem to bother us at all though. We also looked into two frameless sliding doors - hydroslide and one other one by Cardinal (the name is slipping my mind), they might be an option for you if you want a frameless look but can't fit the swinging door.

shosh65 - Congratulations on starting your project. I think what helped me move along with the design is picking the vanity first, because it locked in a style and somewhat of color palette. The vanity wall is about 44" high. The large tiles are 13x13 on the wall and floor, and the mosaic's are 2x2 with resin 2x2 inserts cut into them. We actually used a bullnose 4x13 at the top of the wall, I wanted to trim it down but my husband won that discussion, and it works. We caulked the edges that are against the painted wall with sanded caulk (I had no idea there was such a thing!), it looks just like the grout and blends well.

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

Love your bathroom. It feels very spa-like!

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

I don't know why you changed the layout. Before, you could wash your hands *while* going to the bathroom. Ha ha, just kidding. I love love love the redo! Everything about it is fabulous -- great job!

• ancientoaks
    13 years ago

gosh, what an accomplishment..as a tiler, I KNOW what you went thru to get a professional looking job like that..showers are NOT easy! great plan, great colors...congrats!

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

So exciting! I love your niches and think you are amazing for doing this yourselves. Simply stunning. Bravo!

• antss
    13 years ago

nice job, especially the niches.

• Kelli Culpepper
    13 years ago

Love it!! You guys did a great job - excellent use of space and love all of the finishing touches that you used!

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Wow. Gorgeous transformation. I especially love the vanity, the counter and the diamond tile.

• roemama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful comments! We've really enjoyed the change, it still is our best room of the house. Hoping to get our kitchen finished in the next 3 months and hoping it turns out as well as this project has.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

very beautiful job! Great DIY! you must be very proud.

• roemama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lizzy88,

Sorry for the late reply, i didn't get your message through email.

Yes, the ibox is what I used and with that same hansgrohe trim. I love it. We can have two shower heads going at the same time or seperate and it was pretty easy to install. I went to a local shop and they beat online prices.

I don't like our hansgrohe shower heads though, they leak and we've replaced them under warranty but they still leak.

Best of luck!

• Renée Soronen
    13 years ago

"I don't like our hansgrohe shower heads though, they leak and we've replaced them under warranty but they still leak."

This scares me. I thought hansgrohe was supposed to be one of the best manufacturers when it comes to shower heads. Where does it leak from?

(Gorgeous bathroom, by the way! You did a great job!)