Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nothingbutboys

Updated Bathroom

nothingbutboys
11 years ago

While our remodel isn't fancy, or mired in special touches, we are pretty pleased. I thought I would share in any event, because I did get a lot of information from the forum to help inform our decisions. This remodel involved a minor expansion into an unfinished space, but basically used the existing layout. It's definetly a middle of the road in terms of cost/design. All the tile is from the Tile Store and fixtures are either from Home Depot or Amazon.

Old bathroom

Updated bathroom

Comments (21)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks great! The tile mosaic on the bench seat is a nice detail. What's that dangly thing above the bench, a handheld shower head? The dark switch plates were a nice touch too. You did a great job updating that room! Love the vanity too. You must be very pleased with the results!

The's nothing wrong with middle of the road, my bath was almost exclusively from Lowes and including all the accessories and decor only cost about $2k. It was the labor that drove the price up, I just didn't have the time or skills to DIY, especially when the tub had to be replaced. There are plenty of people here and searching on google for budget or middle of the road remodel ideas, and it's great for those of us in that situation to post pics. I found the threads here very helpful in the few days I had to get our project together.

• enduring
    11 years ago

How's it working for you? It is beautiful. Very classic looking. The tile is wonderful. I hope you get years of great showering. The extra space, what did you do with that? Did you use it for the shower? If you have a layout of before and after I would be interested in seeing it. If not that's fine. Congratulations.

• nothingbutboys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

williamsem - thanks for the validation, while I'm always inspired by the jaw droppings baths I see here, I figured not everyone is able/wants that, and I'd be brave and share mine. lol Labor was definitely the highest item here, as I'm just not a DIYer. Dangling thing is indeed a handheld. This is a basement bath used by kids coming in from sports and pets, so being able to "spray off" was key. There's also a niche, tiled with bench tile as well (I'm just not much of a photographe either.)

enduring - it's working great. Mainly bc it's SUCH an improvement. Previous shower was like a telephone booth, plus had stopped working. The fact that the two other baths in the house are currently under construction, makes this even better. Sorry - no layouts, but yes, the extra space was a to the right of the toilet (if you are facing it) and behind the wall for the shower expansion. It was an odd space in the unfished part of the basement so made sense to take over.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice bathroom!

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, I also like the dark accents. Wish I would have thought of that but ours is in progress now and that "ship has sailed". "Low budget" is definitely not something that comes to my mind when I see your space because of it being "serene". Nice job!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What an amazing improvement. It looks wonderful.

• janesylvia
    11 years ago

Very nice. Where did you get the frameless shower door? Thank you.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

Very nice choices! Wonderful tile makes it look so custom and luxurious. I'm so glad to see people post their remodels that don't have every high-end fixture and feature. It helps so many of us to see what's possible. Maybe I'll get brave and post my "why pay retail/salvage bath" :)

• janesylvia
    11 years ago

Very nice. Where did you get the frameless shower door? Thank you.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

That's fantastic! I really like your tile for its mix of warm and cool tones. There is absolutlely nothing wrong with a more modest reno! Seeing what you were able to achieve by sticking to the "middle of the road" will help others realize that you don't have to go crazy to make a big impact.

I love the art on your walls... I suspect it may tie in with your GW name somehow. ;-)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

It certainly doesn't look middle of the road to me -- it looks terrific! The tile is fabulous, and I like the matchstick and pebble tile as contrast. Great job!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Looks great. Is that real silver travertine or ceramic or porcelain? I only ask because it looks real (and really nice) whatever it is. I almost used the same thing (the stone variety) but did some bargain hunting on calacatta gold in part because I was worried that the filled, straight-edge variety was too modern for my application and that unfilled, chiseled-edge variety was too country (and not sleek enough). It just made me frustrated, but it all works out in the end!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

' I'm so glad to see people post their remodels that don't have every high-end fixture and feature. It helps so many of us to see what's possible. Maybe I'll get brave and post my "why pay retail/salvage bath" '

me too! I think most of us can't go the 'high end' route. mid to lower than mid takes in more people.

I can't afford to do much of anything in my bathrooms. I'm lucky most is in good condition (tho maybe out of style). I do plan to redo the flooring and change the mirror and lighting. Most likely paint the cabinets.

was it very difficult to take out that huge mirror? that's what I have and I want them gone. Same type in both bathrooms. I really don't like them.

kmcg - post yours! We've had a few brave people post their lower budget type redos - and they've been great. We can get lots of ideas and tips.

remember the gwer who 'painted' on her 'granite' over her laminate counter?

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

KMCG, do post your bath, I'd love to see it. DH and I are working on a near total remodel of our bath and have a budget of $2,500. We are half done and are going to come in close to budget, despite some upgrades and unexpected (therefore more expensive) discoveries. I will post when done.

• twingle
    11 years ago

Great job! Thanks for the inspiration.

• nothingbutboys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

janesylvia - the frameless door was actually an adition to the original job. We got if from http://www.trulyframelessva.com/. We were happy with them, their first install came with chrome fixtures, they realized the mistake and came back the next day to fix w/out me saying a word.

kmcg - please post! I'm sure you will inspire others with what you have done.

treasure the day - thanks, and you're on to me! We always called this bath "the baseball bathroom".....and I wanted to keep the theme, but make in look like it went with the updgrade. lol

KevinMP - The Tile Shop tile in Claros Silver. The boxes in the garage were marked travertine, a link to the product is here: http://www.tileshop.com/search/index.aspx?cx=006213354531596860626:rnssskijiiw&q=claros&PageSize=43

desertsteph - thanks for the validation! This bath had originally been a super fast, very cheap install 15 years ago and more than served it's purspose. When we originally did it, we used salavage/discount/discard pieces including the mirror. That mirror was dropped at some point and had scratches and a piece broke so was cut down. Long story to say, that one worker moved the mirror by himself and didn't seem to have any issues. Good luck!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Very pretty, with a nice selection of materials. And I'm sure the larger shower is appreciated.

It's not the price of the materials, it's the way you put them together. I've seen some really UGLY high-end bathrooms

• itltrot
    11 years ago

Another vote that it doesn't look middle of the road to me. Looks great and it's wonderful to see "middle of the road" renovations. Thanks for the inspiration.

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

I love what you have done and hope that our bathroom looks this good when it is finished.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

That is a great looking bathroom, and you did an amazing job!

It is sad that you felt you had to be brave to post your 'middle of the road bathroom.' I have come across several posts and even some who said they would never post because their space wasn't fancy enough.

I hope you get many years out of your very pretty bathroom.

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Really nice! I like the pebble shower floor - it goes nicely with the wall tile. Looks like a bathroom you'll enjoy for many years.