Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb7901

One piece vs two piece toilets?

barb7901
13 years ago

What is the difference/advantage/disadvantage between a one piece and two piece toilet? We are looking a Toto and don't know which way to go. Does one flush better than the other? Clog less? Or is it simply a matter of style?

This is for my teen aged son's bathroom and will only be used by him though he does sometimes tend to use lots of toilet paper. We have to have rounded bowl because of limited space.

Any advice and suggestions on which model works well will be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• barb7901
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eric,

Thanks for the info. The Carlyle II is a nice looking product but we have to have rounded, which limits our options.

I think we'll take a walk on the wild side and order a one piece and hope for the best!

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

...and from the herniated disc perspective, a two-piece can be easier to transport and install.

• ntruro
    13 years ago

I echo what mongoct said. As a DIYer who works solo, two piece toilets are much easier to carry - especially if the bathroom is on the second floor. Recently I installed a Toto Vespin II. The bowl weighs about 75lbs and the tank about 25. A one piece is also bigger and more awkward to carry, especially through doorways.

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Barb, are you certain you need the round bowl? The difference in depth is only about 1.5" on two Toto models I just looked at. Will that space make enough of a difference that you have to give up the elongated bowl? You definitely limit your choices of available models going with a round bowl. Also, for a teenage son's bathroom, I'll just say that most men will greatly prefer the elongated bowl shape. Having had one rounded bowl toilet, it can feel a little, um, cramped when sitting to do your business. And with a teenager who may not be as, um, careful, well, you might like the elongated bowl better, too! Okay, 'nuff said about that!

Good point, Mongo. A two piece toilet does come in two separate pieces, which makes it easier to carry around if you're doing this yourself. Also, I should note that if you're doing it yourself, some Toto toilets which come with what they call a Uni Fit rough-in are a bit more complicated to install than conventional toilet. If you have a tile floor, there's some drilling through the tile needed. If you're having a contractor do the work, then you don't need to worry about moving the one-piece (sorry, Mongo and other pros!) or the extra work with installation; if you're doing it yourself, then just be aware that there's a little more to it than a conventional toilet if you get one of the Toto's with their Uni Fit rough-in.

-- Eric

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

barb7901: "We have to have rounded bowl because of limited space."

If space is the issue, then look at the actual dimensions rather than at the shape of the bowl. In most Toto models (getting back to the topic line), the one-piece toilets stick out further from the wall than the equivalent two-piece toilets. Although we are considering only elongated bowl toilets for our (cramped) powder room renonation, we found in comparing dimensions that the Caroma Bondi was three inches deeper (31+ inches vs. 28+ inches) than the Toto Vespin II.

Nothing beats comparing actual specs.

• barb7901
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded. You've brought up some great points.

jacobse-yes we need a rounded bowl. The toilet sits right in front of the bathroom door and the bathroom is only 51 inches wide and the door is 24 inches. We've measured and drawn lines and from the center of the drain pipe to where the door would hit and it's slightly less than 19 inches. I'll take a look again at some of the choices for elongated bowl (which we would prefer) but that seems to be cutting it close. My son is somewhat germ-phobic and, well, sits when he does all his business, if you know what I mean. So he's very neat about it.

mongoct-we are DIYers and when I mentioned the weight to my husband, we decided to go with 2 piece for easier installation. Now I just have to pick one out.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

For what it's worth, there ARE some "compact elongated" toilets.

We used a toto Aquia III in our master bath and it is only 27.5" from the wall. The American Standard Cadet III is 28.5".
    The Aquia is skirted, dual flush, great-looking, and really compact, while having an elongated bowl and comfort height. It's SUPER comfortable. And not too expensive!!!

• sfpartington
    8 years ago

I had been waiting for the one piece toilet to make it to Canada. Now they are in all three locations in my home. The idea of a tank physically sitting on top of a bowl separately, with the additional two bolts with washers and rubber flange with all the B.S. is ridiculous, when you can have the whole thing together, cleaner, better looking, and virtually leak proof.

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

barb, you might want to take a look at wall-mount toilets. you can get the tank in-wall to save a lot of space.

• agk2003
    8 years ago

reviving this thread as i'm about to purchase two toilets. i'm noticing not much difference between the one and two piece except the seam at the base of the tank which isn't really visible when the seat is up. i think the more important feature in aesthetics to look at is skirted vs. non skirted. the skirted looks much sleeker and not having all those nooks and crannies for cleaning seems ideal. am i missing anything on one piece vs. two?

8 years ago

I'm finding there is a ht difference and gallon capacity difference on the Kohler Tresham. I love the style for my bathroom but questioning the ht of toilets. Both comfort seat...does it make a difference? Thanks

• lynfeling
    8 years ago

I like the look of Toto toilets as well. However, I have a concern about the color. I presently have Kohler toilet, sink and bathtub. Have to replace toilet. Worried about matching the whites. Any ideas?

• whocareswhoiam
    8 years ago

Cotton white in Toto will most likely be the best match. If your sink happens to white on the faucet handles, take off one handle and bring to the store. Our local store has Kohler toilets next to Toto so you can actually see the comparison of both whites.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz