Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a fringe to a drop in tub. How?

Posted by shibafu (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 21:23

Hello. We are remodeling our bathroom, and we realized that we ordered a wrong type of bath tub. The tub is a drop in type, but it will be installed in alcove space. I have seen that there is a flange kit from Kohler. How effective is it? Is it also visually acceptable? Is there any other way, other than using a flange kit, to install a drop in tub which can be water tight or water proof? Any info. is appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a fringe to a drop in tub. How?

I did it. I have the kohler Greek tub installed in an alcove. I ordered the tile in bead kit. But my contractor had something similar that he liked better so we used it. It is a plastic length of material that gets installed around the tub and then the tile comes down over it. We have used the tub as a shower for over two and a half years with no problem.

o

It depends on whether the tub is cast iron or acrylic how well they work, I think. The Greek is acrylic and the plastic flange can essentially be fused to it like you can fuse two pieces of any plastic with certain adhesives. Porcelain probably doesn't take to this as well.

Is there any way you can just return the tub and get the proper flanged kind? I know a delay of a few weeks can seem enormous at this point but a few weeks will be over soon and a slow chronic leak around a tiled in bathtub lasts forever (unless you take it out and put in a flanged tub).

o

Problem arises when the tub you want to use isn't 60"L, the only size where flanged alcove tubs are widely available. There are only a handful in the 5-1/2' and 6' sizes, so you'll probably want to use a drop-in tub that the manufacturer recommends for use with a tile-in flange kit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here