Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
space between cement board and tub

Posted by hondagirl (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 20:51

For my bath surround/shower, my GC put up cement board without the 6mm poly. I need some sort of waterproofing and was thinking about using HydroBan. However, there is a 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the cement board and the top of the bathtub flange. What is the best way of dealing (waterproofing) with this space? It is too big a gap to silicone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: space between cement board and tub

Hydroban is great. We used it on all three tub or shower surrounds.

DH says the cement board should come over the flange, without touching the tub rim/ledge itself (maybe 1/4" space). He suggested filling in the gap with a strip of hardi-backer (easier to work with than cement board)--~3/4 wide. He also suggested "spackling" the joint(s) with thinset, not joint compound.

GW's resident tile guru's and GC's will probably provide further suggestions and advice as well.

Good luck!

o

DH says the cement board should come over the flange, without touching the tub rim/ledge itself (maybe 1/4" space).

DH is wrong. Cement board should come down TO the flange, and then fill the gap with stiff thinset. If the cement board comes down over the flange, it'll end up bowing out.

o

To clarify; DH furred-out the studs so the hardi-backer comes down straight over our flanges (our tile guy's recommendation), so our hardi-backer does not bow out. Forgot to mention that we had done that.

o

Gotcha. :-)

o

So I've got to squish in lots of thinset, let it dry and sand it smooth?

Pic of part of the gap.

Photobucket

o

Hondagirl, how did your project turn out for you? Did you get the tile on?

o

That gap is supposed to be there to accommodate for expansion/contraction of the different materials.

Tile is intended to bridge the gap.

Honestly in my opinion you're much better off that your GC didn't install 'waterproofing' behind the cement board. The notion of putting poly behind the cement board by stapling it to the studs and then peppering it with screws through the cement board as a waterproofing technique is ridiculous.

Cement board is porous, grout is porous. Water will go through the grout, through the cement board, through the poly (or worse accumulate between the cement board and poly) and rot the cement board. It is NOT water proof - it will hold up better than drywall when wet, but not forever or for the long term.

You also don't want a 'water sandwich' i.e. poly behind the cement board and then waterproofing on top of the cement board as this just completely traps any moisture in that envelope. That's a basic tenant of all vapor barrier installations.

If it were my bathroom, I'd be installing a waterproofing membrane like Kerdi on top of the cement board. It would extend to the top edge of the tub covering that gap. Tile then gets installed all the way to the edge of the tub.

Grout goes everywhere except along the bottom edge of the tile where it meets the tub - there you put silicone caulking to allow for the movement of the tub without cracking the grout. The tub will move/flex/expand/contract.

o

Oh shoot - didn't realize this thread was so old before I posted. Hope things worked out.

o

But for the record, it's not meant to be waterproofing, but only a vapor barrier, and as for being ridiculous, it IS spec'ed both by TCNA and ANSI.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here