Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Almost finished master bath with waterfall tile and walnut vanity

annkathryn
11 years ago

My husband and I have just moved in to our house that we've been renovating for the past 5 months. The house was built in 1949 and had 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. One of our "must haves" was a large steam shower in the master bath. We managed this by converting the smaller bedroom into a master bath and adding on a master bedroom.

The original walls and window of the small bedroom, with framing for the new windows. The toilet will end up in the left corner.

From MasterBath

Shower pan was hot mopped and filled with water for inspection.

From MasterBath

The tile guys used some baseboard that was lying around to hold up the ceiling tiles while the grout set:

From MasterBath

Custom floating vanity in walnut. Counter top is quartz, sinks were provided by the fabricator and the faucets are Grohe. We had the linen tower from our previous house remodel, it's from Ronbow.

From MasterBath

Toto dual flush toilet.

From MasterBath

Glass tile for the waterfall is Gigis Groovy Stiix in "Love Shack", showers are Hansgrohe.

From MasterBath

The waterfall couldn't be recessed into the wall, our first plan, because the wall was a shear wall. We had our tile guy build it out about an inch, the width of 3 glass tiles, instead.

From MasterBath

Floor tile in Sintesi Glamour Brown and wall tile is Palais Beige from TileShop. Wall color is BM Grasshopper. Light fixtures are George Kovacs Tube Brushed Nickel LED Wall Sconces, and mirrors are Loft 24-Inch Dark Walnut, all from Bellacor.

We still have to hang the mirrors and put up towel bars. The shower glass will be installed next week.

One more view:

From MasterBath

Comments (21)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Absolutely stunning! What a beautiful space!

What type/color quartz did you use? It looks like the quartz that we chose for our quest bath reno, Quantra Paramo. I haven't seen it since putting a deposit on it 6 months ago since we seem to be taking our time on this project.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks treasuretheday. We used a sort of no-name quartz in this bathroom and in the other 2. It's from a company called Cornerstone, color is Cactus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornerstone Prefab Quartz Counters.

• gin_gin
    11 years ago

Wow, I love it.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

wow, it's so pretty - love the waterfall! what is the little thing near the floor to the left of the waterfall? is that a steam head?

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

phylhl yes, that's the head for the steam unit which is in the ceiling of the room below the shower. We probably should have moved it over even more to the left - it was originally placed right in the middle of where the waterfall tile was going to go, while there was still time to move it, fortunately! The steam unit control is by the niche on the left wall of the shower, hidden from view.

• maggieq
    11 years ago

Now that is one stylin' bathroom. Can you provide the overall room dimensions, also size of the shower. I may finally have an inspiration for our MB reno! Thanks for sharing.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, MaggieQ. The room is 11x12, and the shower walls are 6'6 x 6'6.

We really need to get those mirrors hung...maybe this week! And I'll try to take a picture now that the shower doors are in. One major ooops - the door to the shower hits the clipped ceiling when it's open more than 90 degrees. We're thinking of putting a rubber stop on the ceiling to keep it from getting damaged.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We finally got the mirrors up and the towel bars installed. The shower glass is in as well although difficult to photograph. We used starfire glass and love it.

A couple recent pics:

From MasterBath
    From MasterBath

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Wow, it's so beautiful. Great job. What steam unit are you using, out of curiosity? We will be installing a Thermasol.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We chose a Thermasol steam unit as well. Our previous house had a Mr. Steam but we thought it was a bit noisy and have read good things about Thermasol, so we decided to switch and see how we like it. We haven't used it yet as there are issues with the light in the shower that we're hoping to get resolved tomorrow.

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Looks great! What is to Toto toilet model? I am trying to order from faucetdirect and want to make sure I get all the required parts.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

laurat88 I bought the Toto Aquia CST412MF.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Dual Flush

• micherine
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the waterfall! Would you mind sharing where you sourced the wall hung vanity? I'm on the peninsula too. Thanks!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

micherine the wall hung vanity was custom made by my general contractor's longtime cabinet subcontractor, which is a large shop in San Jose. I can't recommend them. While the workmanship was excellent (with one exception I'll describe below) the process to design, get a quote, and select the wood was one of the most painful and frustrating parts of our whole-house remodel. They didn't return phone calls or emails. They weren't in the shop when I drove down there to meet with them at pre-arranged times. They didn't treat my job as if it mattered. It took nearly 2 months just to get a quote from plans we drew up together. They wanted to charge me double the retail price for the Mockett pulls. I bought them myself and drove them down to be installed. They didn't pack the doors well for delivery - they were wrapped tightly together with nothing in between them so the pulls on one drawer dug into the wood on the one next to it. They did send a repair guy out who to fix it who was excellent, but he's leaving the company because he's tired of facing the wrath of customers who were unhappy with the entire process.

My general contractor knows they're difficult to work with but sticks with them because they're slightly less expensive than other shops.

The one workmanship issue I had was that the 1" filler piece wasn't grain-matched with the door next to it. This is not a difficult thing - all of my kitchen cabinets were grain-matched including filler pieces. But it's minor in the whole scheme of things.

Aren't you glad you asked?

If I had to do it again I'd go with Ikea cabinets and SemiHandMade door and drawer fronts, as I did in my kitchen. Here's my inspiration picture that I found on the SemiHandMade site last year. It's no longer on the site, I'm not sure why, but this is my cached copy.

{{gwi:1500629}}

This is another inspiration picture, a custom vanity in a house designed by John Lum Architecture who is in San Francisco.

Email me if you want more details. You can see my kitchen cabinets on the Kitchen forum here:
    Kitchen Thread

Here is a link that might be useful: SemiHandMade Doors

• jules8
    11 years ago

What a fantastic bath.....I love the waterfall.
    Did you cut your floor tile down for the shower floor? what size are the shower floor tiles? I thought that shower floor tiles should be small and those look at least 4x6. we would like ours to be 4x6 and wonder if that will be possible. The tile we would use is Atlas Concorde Glow and it has a surface grain that would prevent slippage, so we are only concerned with proper installation for drainage.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi jules8, the large floor tiles (Glamour Brown) were cut down to about 8 1/4 x 5 1/4 for the shower floor. The floor tile has a texture similar to the wall tiles, so not very slippery. It's a large shower and there wasn't a problem getting the slope to the drain correct. A smaller shower would probably require smaller floor tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glamour Brown tile

• crl_
    11 years ago

Lovely! Thank you for sharing.

• jules8
    11 years ago

thanks for your info. 4x6 should work in my shower also.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Your bathroom turned out beautifully. I love the waterfall tile detail and gorgeous vanity. I am planning a floating walnut vanity too, and am having trouble deciding on drawer and door proportions. Would you mind sharing some measurements?

What is the length and height of the vanity and how high off the floor does it float? How wide are the doors and drawers, and how tall are the drawer faces?

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all who posted such nice comments.

kaysd here are some measurements for you of the vanity:

total length 7 feet
    height including counter: 36"
    counter is 2cm
    bottom of vanity is 11.5" from the floor
    Vanity is 22.75" from top to bottom
    The drawers are 6" (top), 8", 8"
    The two sink cabinets are 30" wide and drawers are 24" wide
    There's a 3/4" filler on the right side of the vanity next to the wall.

• clg7067
    11 years ago

Love the walnut vanity!