Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
U.S. Ceramic tile from Home Depot vs. Dal-tile or American Olean?

Posted by alg1026 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 19:37

We are retiling our shower in basic white glossy subway tile. Floor is already tiled in Dal-tile matte white 6x6 tile. The finish on Dal-tile or American Olean white tile matches perfectly, but husband came home from Home Depot today with boxes of U.S. Cermaic brand white tile. It feels like and not as nice as the American Olean sample tile we picked up from Lowes the other day.

Does anyone have any experience with U.S. Ceramic? Is it an inferior product? The color is identical, but something about the tile just did not feel right to me. Would appreciate some insight -- cannot find anything on this site or much on the Internet related to the quality of U.S. Ceramic tile. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: U.S. Ceramic tile from Home Depot vs. Dal-tile or American Ol

Although it's not really an inferior product in that it performs any worse than AO or Dal, I have a little sore spot with USCT (which also used to be known as Romany Spartan). Back about 12 years ago, in a cost cutting effort they decided to cut down the thickness of the tile, so it's about 2/3 the thickness of the other two, when all three used to be pretty much the same size. It used to be Romany was my favorite tile to use, until they "cheaped out". I was afraid if they did something like that that could be seen, what did they do that couldn't?

o

Another negative issue I've had with tile from HD or Lowes..AO makes certain tiles expressly for HD or Lowes. 6 months later, they've quit making a style and you may not be able to locate replacements. My suggestion would to make sure you buy enough for future patch work or possible add-on work.

o

Thanks for that observation. I actually meant to type above that it feels "lighter" than the American Olean, but had a typo. I guess my suspicion is confirmed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here