Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie94062

Tile Tub Surround-How long should it take?

julie94062
12 years ago

Hi,

(I did my kitchen two years ago and received such wonderful help and ideas. Just wanted to first say thanks to GWers! )

I'm now doing an *unexpected* extensive remodel of a rental house we own, after long-time tenants moved out at the end of June. It was in really bad shape. Fired the property manager. Got a new one. Long story, but I ended up with a contractor/remodeler who is doing OK, slowly but surely (started beg. of Sept.). A lot of it is done except tiling the two bathrooms and installing the fixtures. He works by himself, but has had subs in to do electrical, some carpentry, plumbing, etc.

Tiling doesn't seem to be his strong point, although the work is good and he seems to be doing things right. Not being familiar with tile and how long things should be taking, I thought I'd ask the experts. (BTW, Bill V, thanks for the "Tile FAQ"--big help!).

He's on day 6 of tiling just the tub surround (6" squares, not to ceiling, with 6" mosaic accent). Just about done and should grout tomorrow. Seems like a bit (?) long to me, especially since he still has the master shower and both floors to do, although that will be all 12" and will supposedly go faster.

I'm getting worried that the bathrooms alone will take a couple more weeks (and I want to get renters in to avoid paying that Dec 1 mortgage myself!). Still have to refinish wood floors, etc.

So my questions are: How long should that normally take? Is it in the ball park, or should I explore getting someone in who just does tile? My sister said both her bathrooms were done in a few days.

Thoughts?

Thanks!! Julie

Comments (7)