Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screws to use with fiberglass shower wall

Posted by lillo (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 19:12

I bought a handheld shower with a bracket that I wanted to put in my old guest bathroom . The problem is that the the shower tub combo is one piece of Fiberglas with the walls . The screws sent with the bar won't hold it tight to the fiberglass and might crack it . Is there another kind of screws that I can use ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screws to use with fiberglass shower wall

lillo:

Who says you need mechanical fasteners? Clean the fiberglas and the back of the bracket, apply 100% silicone and tape it in place for a day or so. Carefully cut off the squeeze-out with a razor knife after its set up. If there is enough footprint on the bracket, this may work.

o

You also might be able to use 3M VHB tape!

o

Would these methods be sturdy enough to hold the bar ? taking in consideration that there will be some pull up and down on it to move the position of the shower head .

o

Worth a shot before you screw the surround. If you have to screw thru the surround you will need to have the screw into a stud or blocking (which should have been figured in the original layout).

o

lillo:

Have a local solid surface fabricator fabricate a color matched piece 2" longer than the bar you want to mount. Drill through the solid surface completely to mount your hardware (don't screw directly into the solid surface), making sure the back is flush. Silicone the solid surface to the shower wall. It ain't comin' off, even if you used it as a grab bar.

o

Thank you for your suggestions . I'll give it a try with the silicone first . If it doesn't work , I'll the idea of adding the solid surface .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here