Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathie2029

Where did you put your thermostat for radiant floor heating?

cathie2029
11 years ago

Hello. We're thinking about putting in radiant floor heating in our hallway bathroom which is tiny (5x8) but not sure if the thermostat would just look too big and bulky in the small space. Those who have this in their bathroom, can you please post a pic? Thank you.

Comments (21)

• dibgar
    11 years ago

Our design calls for the thermostat to be placed inside an adjoining walk-in closet so that we don't have to see it. We hope this is OK. If the thermostat is controlled only by the sensor in the floor, then I don't think it has to be in the same space. On the other hand, one tile person told us that the thermostat reads the ambient temperature of the room as well as the temperature from the floor sensor. If true, then we wonder if it will be a mistake to "hide" it in the closet. Our remodel is still in the planning stage, so I hope someone with experience/knowledge will respond.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Both of our bathrooms with floor heat are small (4x7 and 5x7). We installed the thermostats just under the light switches.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Mine will go side by side with my light switches and exhaust fan switch along a wall a few feet from my sink and near my entry in my 6.5x9.5 bathroom.

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I feel better now they don't look that bad.

KevinMP: What toilet brand is that? Tell me that's a non ADA toilet (I've been looking for a pretty Memoirs like toilet thats not ADA height)

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Jacuzzi Prestige; ADA height, unfortunately.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

My thermostat is above the toilet, next to the exhaust fan/light switch. Sorry, no pix, but it looks okay to me.

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ARGHhhh ADA height strikes again!! Thanks KMCG, makes sense to put it right next to the fan switch. I feel much better , they really look OK next to the switches.. ( i don't know what site I looked at but they had some big wide ones or at least they looked huge and that made me nervous..) They look good and beautiful bathrooms Catmom and kevinMP!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Thanks kali2024! They're small, but we managed to fit in a lot of nice features (like the toasty warm floors!).

• John Tebbs
    11 years ago

In response to dibgar, our radiant floor heat can be set to read either/both floor temperature and room air temperature. I can't speak for all brands, but the ones I checked all did that. Unless you can find one that specifically reads only floor temperature, it might be a mistake to not have it in the room it's heating.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Ours can be set to read either the ambient temp OR the floor temp. We have ours set to read the floor temp.

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One other quick question.. Do all of you have more than one sensor in the floor?

• kmcg
    11 years ago

Mine has just one sensor. I learned (on this forum) about the 2-sensor idea a couple days after it was installed, so too late for me. My contractor said the thermostat he uses always comes with only one.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

DH kicks himself that he didn't think of installing two sensors before ours was installed as well.

• dibgar
    11 years ago

I will double check which type of thermostat our tile man plans to use to be sure that it can operate with the floor sensor alone. There will be a heat vent in the closet, so I don't want that small room's temperature to interfere with controlling the floor heat in the adjoining bathroom.

Re two sensors: We asked about getting a second floor sensor as back-up in case one fails. The tile man said he had never heard of a need for that, but he is willing to do that for us and he included the second sensor in his bid.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I ran 2, bought and extra one when I ordered the system. It may be a stratagy to make extra money on the part of the dealers but I think the insurance is worth it. I think some instructions now even state to run 2. In the past I learned about 2 on GW.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

We have two sensors because I learned that tip here just in time during our masterbath reno. Our thermostat is on the wall behind the door in the separate WC.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Ours is set on the wall inside the linen closet that's in the bathroom....we also had them install 2 sensors in case one fails.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Hmm, I never knew it had sensors. My thermostat is next to the light switches (light over vanity and light in shower).

Kevin, I love that picture of the boat. Is it something anyone can buy?

• charliehorse99
    11 years ago

Thermostat should be at EYE LEVEL, that's where you read it! That's the same height you would put a regular HVAC thermostat, no? Who wants to bend down to look at the setting? You don't look at regular light switches, but thermostats you do.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

If you have forced air heat also in the room make sure not to put the sensor in front of the vent. In one small bathroom our thermostat is on the wall outside the bathroom door. It was easier to install there then inside the bathroom.