Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Have Shower Level with Rest of Drywall??

Posted by ms222 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 18:51

I've always been confused with this, maybe someone can explain.

In a 3 wall alcove, I'm going to have a shower there, but I dont understand how to make it so when the tile is laid on the shower wall it is the same depth as the rest of the drywall through out the bathroom.

If I put cement board on the studs around the shower walls, and then drywall on the studs of the surrounding walls, they will all be the same depth. But when I add thinset mortar and then lay the tile on top, it will stick out more from the wall and the thinset buildup will be showing from the side, and then the remaining walls would just be bare drywall, so the depths would look different. Therefore, what is the solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Have Shower Level with Rest of Drywall??

In every example I have seen, the tile is not even with the drywall. They are edged with bullnose.

If it really, really drives you crazy to have a non-flush wall you can do one of two things:

1 - Tile all the way to the ceiling
2 - Use thicker drywall above the tiles

o

>They are edged with bullnose.

or with Schluter edging where that's not available or not desired for aesthetic reasons.

o

Tile always sticks out further than drywall. You caulk the edge tile to cover up the thinset.

o

Making the tile and wall surfaces flush, (in the same plane), is commonly done. You just have to fur out the walls, which indeed, does make the room a little smaller but you'll probably not notice the change.

I did it in my bath remodel:

http://www.billbblog.com/Diy/34/Tile-Shower#Shower to Room Transition

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here